Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org> on 2019/05/15 05:26:51 UTC

question about Xalan-J branches

Hi all,
   Xalan-J's repos is at https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/xalan-java.git.
I've questions about its branches 'xalan-j_2_7_1_maint' & 'master'.

Following is what I know currently (please correct me, if I'm wrong), about
above two mentioned Xalan branches,
1) The branch 'xalan-j_2_7_1_maint', is our latest development branch
requiring JDK min 1.5 level. Xalan-J 2.7.3 would be released from this
branch.
2) The 'master' branch requires JDK min 1.3 level.

Would we ignore the 'master' branch for all practical purposes (its just
there, for legacy reasons)? If 'master' branch is still important to us,
for what purpose its important, and are there any principles by which the
branches 'xalan-j_2_7_1_maint' & 'master' should be kept in sync, for e.g
do we first develop on branch 'xalan-j_2_7_1_maint', and then migrate
changes on it to the 'master' branch (if yes, why migrating changes from
branch 'xalan-j_2_7_1_maint' to 'master' is important)?

Mukul Gandhi

Re: question about Xalan-J branches

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi Gary,

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 5:22 PM Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Going forward, do we plan to have Xalan site on SVN or GitBox? If we look
>> at, https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/xalan-site.git (the GitBox repos
>> for Xalan site after migration to GitBox), there are following two branches
>> 'master' and 'git-svn'. These branches have identical content. What is the
>> difference between these two branches?
>>

> Arg, no idea; this might be cruft left over from the conversion to GitBox.

Thanks for the explanation.

I was wanting to fix some minor typos within XalanJ documentation on the
site, these days.

Following is what I've been thinking to do,
1) On Xalan SVN: I would update the .xml meta-data file for the
documentation data that I wish to improve. I would then generate the
corresponding HTML file(s), using the required ant target specified in
build.xml file. I would verify locally that the generated HTML file is ok.
After verifying generated HTML file, I shall commit modified .xml and HTML
files to Xalan SVN repos, and that should reflect on the public site.
This is how, I've been modifying Xerces docs.

2) I would also copy changes specified in point 1), to the GitBox repos
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/xalan-site.git. I would update the
'master' branch, and shall not use 'git-svn' branch (assuming its a cruft
left over while migration to GitBox). For now, I want to copy site changes
to Xalan GitBox as well, if in case in the future we might like to use
GitBox locations for Xalan site (therefore, we maintain the Xalan site's
SVN & GitBox sync from now itself).

Please let me know, if above mentioned steps are ok.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 12:03 AM Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> On Sat, May 18, 2019 at 5:56 PM Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Yes, that's my recollection from doing the 2.7.2 release.
>>

> Thanks for the confirmation.
>

>> The build.xml should say so I hope.
>>

> The build.xml does say that.
> ref,
> <property name="compiler.target" value="1.3"/>
> <property name="compiler.source" value="1.3"/>
>
> Thanks for the pointer.
>

>> Luckily, there are still instructions laying around that are helpful.
>>

> Thanks. I'll try to find those answers, starting with looking at mail list
> archives.
>
> I also have a question related to Xalan site maintenance.
>
> Going forward, do we plan to have Xalan site on SVN or GitBox? If we look
> at, https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/xalan-site.git (the GitBox repos
> for Xalan site after migration to GitBox), there are following two branches
> 'master' and 'git-svn'. These branches have identical content. What is the
> difference between these two branches?

Arg, no idea; this might be cruft left over from the conversion to GitBox.

Gary

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi Gary,

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 1:27 AM Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>    Xalan-J's repos is at
> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/xalan-java.git. I've questions about
> its branches 'xalan-j_2_7_1_maint' & 'master'.
>
> Following is what I know currently (please correct me, if I'm wrong),
> about above two mentioned Xalan branches,
> 1) The branch 'xalan-j_2_7_1_maint', is our latest development branch
> requiring JDK min 1.5 level. Xalan-J 2.7.3 would be released from this
> branch.

Yes, that's my recollection from doing the 2.7.2 release.

2) The 'master' branch requires JDK min 1.3 level.

The build.xml should say so I hope.

> Would we ignore the 'master' branch for all practical purposes (its just
> there, for legacy reasons)? If 'master' branch is still important to us,
> for what purpose its important, and are there any principles by which the
> branches 'xalan-j_2_7_1_maint' & 'master' should be kept in sync, for e.g
> do we first develop on branch 'xalan-j_2_7_1_maint', and then migrate
> changes on it to the 'master' branch (if yes, why migrating changes from
> branch 'xalan-j_2_7_1_maint' to 'master' is important)?

I asked these kinds of questions many moons ago but there were no answer
that I can recall.

I did the best I can at the time to release 2.7.2 but it was painful.