Posted to user@poi.apache.org by ZeoS <fo...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/20 02:03:33 UTC

Loosing the Styles with SXSSFWorkbook

Hi All,
    I have the following issue: I'm creating an excel and I'm trying to
apply some style to cells.
I have a row with the styles that I want to apply (a template),
then I add some other row and apply the style to the cell:
cell.setCellStyle(oldStyle);
I don't see the style being applied to the cell.

But if I instead do a clone:
CellStyle newCellStyle = wb.createCellStyle();
newCellStyle.cloneStyleFrom(oldCell.getCellStyle());
newCell.setCellStyle(newCellStyle);

This works. The problem is that cloning is slow and I don't need to change
the style... Is this normal ?

Thanks

RE: Extracting embedded files from HWPF docs

Posted by "Allison, Timothy B." <ta...@mitre.org>.
I just tried a pdf embedded within a .doc, and Tika extracted it.  I didn't test an mp3 so your mileage might vary.

Might want to use Tika (instructions below) or dive into its guts for inspiration on using HWPF directly (org.apache.tika.parser.microsoft.WordExtractor and org.apache.tika.parser.microsoft.AbstractPOIFSExtractor) both in the parsers jar.

If you are going the Tika route:
Create a class that implements EmbeddedResourceHandler and override "handle" with something like this:

1)         @Override

2)         public void handle(String embeddedFileName, MediaType mediaType, InputStream is) {

3)

4)                System.err.println("in handle: " + mediaType);

5)                if (embeddedFileName == null || embeddedFileName.equals("")){

6)                       embeddedFileName = "unnamed_file_"+num;

7)                }

8)                //in case the "embeddedFileName" comes with path information, make sure to take just the name

9)                String actualName = new File(embeddedFileName).getName();

10)               File outFile = //figure out what you want to call the file

11)               System.out.println("about to extract " + outFile);

12)               OutputStream os = null;

13)               try{

14)                      os = new FileOutputStream(outFile);

15)                      System.out.println("about to extract " + outFile);

16)                      IOUtils.copy(is, os);

17)                      os.flush();

18)               } catch (IOException e){

19)                      /* add logging*/

20)               } finally {

21)                      if (os != null){

22)                            try{

23)                                   os.close();

24)                            } catch (IOException e){

25)                                   //swallow

26)                            }

27)                      }

28)               }

29)

30)          }

Then call tika like this (assuming you've named your EmbeddedResourceHandler "WithinDirectoryEmbeddedHandler"):
TikaInputStream is = TikaInputStream.get(f);
              ParserContainerExtractor containerExtractor = new ParserContainerExtractor();
              containerExtractor.extract(is, new ParserContainerExtractor(), new WithinDirectoryEmbeddedHandler(f));
              is.close();

Posted by Chris Bamford <cb...@mimecast.com>.
Hi Nick,

I created a .doc file with an embedded MP3 (that is, I dragged an MP3 file from Finder and dropped it into the document whereupon Word displayed a small image of a loudspeaker - I took this as a positive sign!).
I then added some text for good measure and saved it, taking care to save it as "Word 97 - 2004".
Then I ran POIFSLister -sizes on it and got:

Root Entry -
  SummaryInformation <(0x05)SummaryInformation> [4096 / 0x1000]
  DocumentSummaryInformation <(0x05)DocumentSummaryInformation> [4096 / 0x1000]
  WordDocument [9152 / 0x23c0]
  1Table [7280 / 0x1c70]
  CompObj <(0x01)CompObj> [96 / 0x60]

Looking closer in the debugger, I discovered that none of the entries shown are of type DirectoryNode, so I cannot even start the process of finding / extracting the MP3.
Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
Thanks,

- Chris

Thanks Nick, must have missed that. Will check it out.
Chris

On 7 Jun 2013, at 14:26, Chris Bamford wrote:

Thanks Nick, must have missed that. Will check it out.

Chris

On 7 Jun 2013, at 14:12, Nick Burch wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Jun 2013, Chris Bamford wrote:
>> Is there a way to extract files embedded into Word docs (.doc, not .docx), using the HWPF package?
>
> Does the information on http://poi.apache.org/poifs/embeded.html not cover what you need?
>
> Nick

Chris Bamford
Senior Developer

CityPoint, One Ropemaker Street,
London,
EC2Y 9AW.

mobile +44 7860 405292
tel: +44 (0) 207 847 8700
web www.mimecast.com

The information contained in this communication from cbamford@mimecast.com is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for use by user@poi.apache.org and others authorized to receive it. If you are not user@poi.apache.org you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in reliance of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Posted by Chris Bamford <cb...@mimecast.com>.
Awesome!

Yes, it works fine - thanks Nick.

- Chris

On 10 Jun 2013, at 21:15, Nick Burch wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jun 2013, Chris Bamford wrote:
>> I'm not familiar with the POI code at all, but I found a useful utility called POIFSDump which writes out all the objects to file.  I found that if I strip off the first 944 bytes from the Ole10Native file, I get the original MP3 :-) These 944 bytes appear to be some sort of header...
>
> Probably an OLE10 header!
>
> Try using the OLE10 code in POI (it's got quite an obvious name), see if that'll parse the stream for you and return the data
>
> Nick

Chris Bamford
Senior Developer

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.

Posted by Chris Bamford <cb...@mimecast.com>.
Hi Nick,

On 10 Jun 2013, at 14:09, Nick Burch wrote:

>> Now POIFSLister shows the ObjectPool and the item in it:
>>
>> Root Entry -
>> SummaryInformation <(0x05)SummaryInformation> [412 / 0x19c]
>> DocumentSummaryInformation <(0x05)DocumentSummaryInformation> [280 / 0x118]
>> WordDocument [4142 / 0x102e]
>> 1Table [2087 / 0x827]
>> ObjectPool -
>>   _1432368106 -
>>     CompObj <(0x01)CompObj> [76 / 0x4c]
>>     ObjInfo <(0x03)ObjInfo> [6 / 0x6]
>>     Ole10Native <(0x01)Ole10Native> [568849 / 0x8ae11]
>>     EPRINT <(0x03)EPRINT> [5000 / 0x1388]
>> CompObj <(0x01)CompObj> [113 / 0x71]
>> Data [4096 / 0x1000]
>
> Try the Ole10Native - POI has code to handle that. My best guess is your data is in there

I'm not familiar with the POI code at all, but I found a useful utility called POIFSDump which writes out all the objects to file.  I found that if I strip off the first 944 bytes from the Ole10Native file, I get the original MP3 :-)
These 944 bytes appear to be some sort of header...
Questions

1) Is this header always 944 in size?
2) Is there a POI header object for it?
3) Is there code which skips this block and accesses the 'file data' directly?

Thanks again
- Chris

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.
On Mon, 10 Jun 2013, Chris Bamford wrote:
> This problem appears to be Mac-specific, I have had more luck with a
> .doc file created natively in Windows :-)

Once you get the windows one working, you might be able to work out the
mac one later...

Posted by Chris Bamford <cb...@mimecast.com>.
Hi again Nick,

This problem appears to be Mac-specific, I have had more luck with a .doc file created natively in Windows :-)
Now POIFSLister shows the ObjectPool and the item in it:

Root Entry -
  SummaryInformation <(0x05)SummaryInformation> [412 / 0x19c]
  DocumentSummaryInformation <(0x05)DocumentSummaryInformation> [280 / 0x118]
  WordDocument [4142 / 0x102e]
  1Table [2087 / 0x827]
  ObjectPool -
    _1432368106 -
      CompObj <(0x01)CompObj> [76 / 0x4c]
      ObjInfo <(0x03)ObjInfo> [6 / 0x6]
      Ole10Native <(0x01)Ole10Native> [568849 / 0x8ae11]
      EPRINT <(0x03)EPRINT> [5000 / 0x1388]
  CompObj <(0x01)CompObj> [113 / 0x71]
  Data [4096 / 0x1000]

Please can you point me to any resources which could help me to save the embedded file to another file (i.e. read all the bytes and save them somewhere)?

Thanks,

- Chris

Posted by Chris Bamford <cb...@mimecast.com>.
Hi Nick,