Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by si...@insession.com on 2004/09/15 13:58:48 UTC

Questions on OpenEJB, Castor and TranQL in Geronimo

Hi,

I am trying to get a better understanding of database support in Geronimo
(and its components) and have a number of questions:

* The page http://openejb.codehaus.org/about.html indicates that OpenEJB
provides EJB1.1 compatibility, but on the page
http://openejb.codehaus.org/cvs.html it indicates that the version of
OpenEJB for Geronimo has EJB 2.x support.

    * Can anyone give an indication of the extent of the current EJB 2.x
support?

    * Is the JIRA issue GERONIMO-173 titled "EJB 1.1 CMP EntityBean
Support" an OpenEJB problem or a Geronimo/OpenEJB integration problem?
Does anyone have more info on this issue?

* Whilst trying to get a picture of the current state of OpenEJB,  I
noticed that there are JIRA issues for OpenEJB on both the Geronimo and
the http://openejb.codehaus.org/ site.
   When is each site used for raising issues? (e.g. is the Geronimo JIRA
database only used to record OpenEJB problems that impact integration of
OpenEJB into Geronimo or passing TCK tests)?

* Geronimo uses Castor version 0.9.3.9, which is dated December 11, 2001.
Is there a reason why more recent versions are not used? (
http://www.castor.org/changelog.html )

* If I want to use Geronimo with a proprietary database that has a JDBC
driver, is Castor the only library that may need modification to work with
the proprietary database?  What about TranQL?

* What is TranQL's relationship with Geronimo and it's dependencies (e.g.
which components use, or plan to use TranQL and under what circumstances
would it be used)?  I tried to find more info but the TranQL site seems a
bit broken (raised issue http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/TQL-2 )

* Where can I view the TranQL source?

Thanks for your help,

John Sisson

Re: Questions on OpenEJB, Castor and TranQL in Geronimo

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@gluecode.com>.
Takling the TranQL bits ...

sissonj@insession.com wrote:

> * If I want to use Geronimo with a proprietary database that has a JDBC
> driver, is Castor the only library that may need modification to work
> with the proprietary database?  What about TranQL?

Castor is not involved in that. In TranQL we have a connector that wraps
a generic JDBC connection so if your database has one available we
should be able to use it. We are also rolling out vendor-specific
connectors that are intended to expose more advanced, proprietary
features of the drivers (such as native pooling or transparent failover).

> * What is TranQL's relationship with Geronimo and it's dependencies
> (e.g. which components use, or plan to use TranQL and under what
> circumstances would it be used)?  I tried to find more info but the
> TranQL site seems a bit broken (raised issue
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/TQL-2 )

Currently OpenEJB2's CMP implementation uses it. The site is old and I
have not had the bandwidth recently to keep it up to date.

> * Where can I view the TranQL source?

http://cvs.tranql.codehaus.org/

Any questions please drop me a line.
--
Jeremy

Re: Questions on OpenEJB, Castor and TranQL in Geronimo

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <ds...@gluecode.com>.
On Sep 15, 2004, at 5:18 AM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:

> sissonj@insession.com wrote:
>
>> I am trying to get a better understanding of database support in
>> Geronimo (and its components) and have a number of questions:
>> * The page http://openejb.codehaus.org/about.html indicates that
>> OpenEJB provides EJB1.1 compatibility, but on the page
>> http://openejb.codehaus.org/cvs.html it indicates that the version of
>> OpenEJB for Geronimo has EJB 2.x support.
>
> This is because there're two versions of OpenEJB, the one being
> integrated with Geronimo - it's OpenEJB2, and the one that has some
> nice features like Tomcat integration with (only) EJB 1.1 + Local
> interfaces support - it's OpenEJB1.
>
> Only OpenEJB2 will support EJB 2.x and more.

To clarify, OpenEJB 1 was written to be compatible with the EJB 1.1
specification, although it is not certified (much like JBoss was prior
to version 4 which has claimed certification).

OpenEJB 2 has been refactored (and added to) to be EJB 2.0 compliant
and integrated into Geronimo.

>> * Whilst trying to get a picture of the current state of OpenEJB,  I
>> noticed that there are JIRA issues for OpenEJB on both the Geronimo
>> and the http://openejb.codehaus.org/ site.
>>    When is each site used for raising issues? (e.g. is the Geronimo
>> JIRA database only used to record OpenEJB problems that impact
>> integration of OpenEJB into Geronimo or passing TCK tests)?
>
> As a OpenEJB committer I can say I treat these two JIRA repos as
> dictinct: one for OpenEJB2 (it's the JIRA installation hosted at
> Apache.org) and the another for OpenEJB1 hosted at CodeHaus.org.
>
> So, issues shown while working with Geronimo (and OpenEJB2) are going
> to  JIRA at Apache.org, whereas with OpenEJB1 (which is not expected
> to work with Geronimo) to JIRA at CodeHaus.org.

Yep.  We are entering the OpenEJB issues into the Geronimo JIRA so we
can keep track of the overall progress of Geronimo from a single
location.

>> * Geronimo uses Castor version 0.9.3.9, which is dated December 11,
>> 2001.  Is there a reason why more recent versions are not used? (
>> http://www.castor.org/changelog.html )
>
> I don't know about any. I also think you're talking about OpenEJB2 (or
> even OpenEJB1), weren't you? If so, that's been overlooked. It seems
> that noone noticed Castor upgrade and it didn't go to OpenEJB.

Geronimo itself doesn't currently use Castor, but some parts of OpenEJB
does.  When we create the Geronimo distribution we need to include
castor for OpenEJB.

>> * If I want to use Geronimo with a proprietary database that has a
>> JDBC driver, is Castor the only library that may need modification to
>> work with the proprietary database?  What about TranQL?
>
> Well, I'm confused. I don't think Castor is used in Geronimo, but
> OpenEJB. I might have missed something :( As far as TranQL goes, I
> thought, it's used for CMPs. JDBC drivers are handled by openejb-jca
> wrapper, but wouldn't cound on the information.

Jacek was close.  In Geronimo, JDBC connections are managed using the
J2EE Connector APIs.  We currently use the tranql-connector JDBC to JCA
wrapper in Geronimo.  We used to use the openejb-jca wrapper, but
dropped it since it is only JCA 1.0 and the Tranql one is JCA 1.5, and
openejb-jca one is copyright Intalio (long story there).

-dain

Re: Questions on OpenEJB, Castor and TranQL in Geronimo

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <ds...@gluecode.com>.

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <jl...@apache.org>.
sissonj@insession.com wrote:

Let me answer the questions I *think* I know the answers to :)

> I am trying to get a better understanding of database support in
> Geronimo (and its components) and have a number of questions:
>
> * The page http://openejb.codehaus.org/about.html indicates that OpenEJB
> provides EJB1.1 compatibility, but on the page
> http://openejb.codehaus.org/cvs.html it indicates that the version of
> OpenEJB for Geronimo has EJB 2.x support.

This is because there're two versions of OpenEJB, the one being
integrated with Geronimo - it's OpenEJB2, and the one that has some nice
features like Tomcat integration with (only) EJB 1.1 + Local interfaces
support - it's OpenEJB1.

Only OpenEJB2 will support EJB 2.x and more.

> * Whilst trying to get a picture of the current state of OpenEJB,  I
> noticed that there are JIRA issues for OpenEJB on both the Geronimo and
> the http://openejb.codehaus.org/ site.
>    When is each site used for raising issues? (e.g. is the Geronimo JIRA
> database only used to record OpenEJB problems that impact integration of
> OpenEJB into Geronimo or passing TCK tests)?

As a OpenEJB committer I can say I treat these two JIRA repos as
dictinct: one for OpenEJB2 (it's the JIRA installation hosted at
Apache.org) and the another for OpenEJB1 hosted at CodeHaus.org.

So, issues shown while working with Geronimo (and OpenEJB2) are going to
  JIRA at Apache.org, whereas with OpenEJB1 (which is not expected to
work with Geronimo) to JIRA at CodeHaus.org.

> * Geronimo uses Castor version 0.9.3.9, which is dated December 11,
> 2001.  Is there a reason why more recent versions are not used? (
> http://www.castor.org/changelog.html )

I don't know about any. I also think you're talking about OpenEJB2 (or
even OpenEJB1), weren't you? If so, that's been overlooked. It seems
that noone noticed Castor upgrade and it didn't go to OpenEJB.

> * If I want to use Geronimo with a proprietary database that has a JDBC
> driver, is Castor the only library that may need modification to work
> with the proprietary database?  What about TranQL?

Well, I'm confused. I don't think Castor is used in Geronimo, but
OpenEJB. I might have missed something :( As far as TranQL goes, I
thought, it's used for CMPs. JDBC drivers are handled by openejb-jca
wrapper, but wouldn't cound on the information.

I've got so many questions while answering yours that I'd strongly
recommend to forget what you've just read and wait for others to answer
it correctly ;)

> John Sisson

Jacek