Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Leif Singer <ax...@singer.sh> on 2007/11/02 19:24:29 UTC

BPEL, XSD, and WSDL Generation Libraries

Hello,

I know this is quite off-topic, but since the list I suppose would be
most fitting for my question didn't respond at all, so I thought I'd
give it a shot here.

I have a model of a business process available as java objects. Out of
this, I want to generate BPEL, WSDL, and XSD files. I have tried
several libraries for these tasks:

XSD: XmlSchema by Apache Commons, Eclipse's XSD library
WSDL: WSDL4J
BPEL: my own lacking implementation, planning to try Eclipse's BPEL
library

To make sure I'm understood, I need these libraries to
- provide a mechanism to construct an object graph representing an XSD/
WSDL/BPEL file
- be able to write this object graph to a file

I also need them to read in existing files, but only for XSD and WSDL.

My questions:

1. Can anyone recommend which libraries to use for these tasks?
2. Using XmlSchema from Apache Commons, I was able to build the
structure just fine, but when trying to write it out, I only find an
empty <schema/> element -- is there anything tricky that I am
obviously doing wrong and should know, e.g. setting a flag for each
object that needs to be added or something like that?

Again, sorry for the off-topic post, but I thought the audience of
this list might contain some indiviuals who know these things. If
someone can point me to the proper list where to ask this, I'd of
course be interested, too.

Thanks in advance
   Leif Singer

Re: BPEL, XSD, and WSDL Generation Libraries

Posted by Thilina Gunarathne <cs...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
You can generate the WSDL's and XSD's using java2WSDL as Anne
mentioned.. I'm currently using the Eclipse BPEL editor
(http://www.eclipse.org/bpel/) to design my processes.. It's still on
Milestone versions, but proved useful to me..

One another alternative for your BPEL engine would be Apache ODE
(http://ode.apache.org/)... ODE web service layer runs using Axis2..

thanks,
Thilina

Thilina Gunarathne  - http://thilinag.blogspot.com

Re: BPEL, XSD, and WSDL Generation Libraries

Posted by Thilina Gunarathne <cs...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
>  I will now look into the Eclipse model classes
> for BPEL files to see whether I can use those to write out BPEL.
You can also try use a BPEL object model representation used by one of
the open source engines...  We also wrote a BPEL Object Model for our
undergrad final year project, but it is not 100% complete (lacks
support for "pick") and it is not open source at the moment.

One another option would be to take the BPEL schema provided with the
BPEL spec and code generate java classes for that using a data binding
mechanism like XMLSchema or ADB..

thanks,
Thilina

Posted by Leif Singer <ax...@singer.sh>.
Anne and Thilina,

thanks a lot for taking the time to reply.

Actually I need *libraries*, not tools, to generate all those
artifacts, since I'm developing a modelling tool to create service
compositions and services. I pass the model on to a generator, which
would then need libraries for BPEL, XSD, and WSDL, to write out all
the artifacts.

As it turns out, the Eclipse library for XSD generation and WSDL4J
work quite well now. I will now look into the Eclipse model classes
for BPEL files to see whether I can use those to write out BPEL. The

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.