Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Paul Pak <pp...@yellowseo.com> on 2011/03/05 23:27:25 UTC

cassandra in-production experiences with .7 series

Hello all,

I was wondering if people could share their overall experiences with
using .7 series of Cassandra in production?  Is anyone using it?

I see a lot of people have troubles on the list, but it's hard to see
which issues get resolved and which remain.  So I was wondering how many
people actually use Cassandra in production and have had good or bad
experiences.

Also, if you found the .7 series to not work out in testing and stopped
there, I'm interested in those experiences as well.  What did you
discover in testing that made you stop?

I'm a little concerned about multi-get performance, lack of paging
support, and possible node memory management issues.

Also, any opinions on .7.3?  I know it's just out, but would love to
know what people think.  Anyone put it through it's paces yet?

Thanks!
Paul

Re: cassandra in-production experiences with .7 series

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
Hi paul, 0.7 has had some problems but I think it's settling down. Hopefully some more people with public facing sites can comment.

WRT some of your other questions:
- I'm not aware of any specific performance issues with multi gets (multiget_slice) can you be more specific.
- You can implement paging through repeated calls to get_range_slice or get_slice, come higher levels provide explicit support for this. AFAIK there are no plans to add SQL style LIMIT-OFFSET support to the API.  see http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/FAQ#range_rp
- I'm not aware of any specific 0.7 memory issues, if anything memory management under 0.7 is better. You will still need to size the JVM appropriately and configure things to match your workload. Do you have any specific concerns.

Hope that helps.
Aaron

Posted by Chris Burroughs <ch...@gmail.com>.
On 03/05/2011 05:27 PM, Paul Pak wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I was wondering if people could share their overall experiences with
> using .7 series of Cassandra in production?  Is anyone using it?

For what it's worth we are using a dozen node 0.7.x cluster have not had
any major problems (our uses cases dodged most of the less pleasant
bugs).  This replaced  a smaller 0.6.x cluster that we were not happy with.

Weather the new code really helped (the main feature we wanted was mx4j
do to idiosyncratic features of our monitoring system) or not we didn't
have time to experimentally determine.