Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com> on 2007/03/09 20:10:19 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache not starting up, no errors?

Not sure what info would be good to give, or what output is needed,
but I upgraded my OS/X box to 10.4 server from 10.4
workstation.Upgrade is wrong - I had to do a fresh install. I opted
not to install the server version of Apache, so I recompiled and
reinstalled 2.2.3 from source ( I was on 2.2.3 before - if I can
upgrade to 2.2.4 without major rewriting of my httpd.conf, sure, I'll upgrade).

So I kept my existing install parameters:--enable-mods-shared=most
--prefix=/Library/Apache2 --enable-ssl

Install went fine. So I thought...

Now, running apachectl start, nothing happens. No command line
output, nothing logged to /var/log/httpd/ anything. ps aux shows
nothing apache running.

Is it possible the apache user wasn't created properly? I don't
recall doing this before - does the apache install automatically do
this, or is it something I need to do, and if so, what parameters
(gid, home, shell, etc) do I need? or is there something else I'm missing?

Any help appreciated.. Sorry I don't know what other info to give. I
have confirmed it's using the correct httpd.conf, if I add a X line,
and run apachectl start, it gives an error about that line.

Thanks.

Evan