Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by John Burwell <jo...@shapeblue.com> on 2016/08/22 23:02:11 UTC

Eliminating Support for Ubuntu 12.04

All,

PR 1647 [1] proposes dropping support for Ubuntu 12.04 from 4.9.2.0+.  The primary motivation for its removal is that the age of its libvirt and qemu versions greatly complicate maintenance of the KVM integration.  However, Ubuntu 12.04 will be supported until April 2017 [2]. What would be the impact to our user community of removing support for Ubuntu 12.04 before its EOL in April 2017?  If we don’t drop support for it in 4.x, would it be acceptable to drop support for it in 5.0.0 which is currently scheduled for release at the end of 2016 [3]?

If we do chose to drop support for Ubuntu 12.04 in 4.x, I propose that we remove it in 4.10.0.0 rather than 4.9.2.0.  First, it is reasonable for users to expect that upgrading between patch releases (i.e. 4.9.x.x -> 4.9.x+1.x) would not require system changes.  Dropping a distribution would violate such an expectation.  Second, 4.9 is an LTS branch.  Therefore, maintaining 12.04 support in 4.9 would provide LTS users with support for Ubuntu 12.04 until May 2018 — well after its EOL.  Does this approach seem reasonable if we elect drop Ubuntu 12.04 in 4.x?

Thanks,
-John

[1]: https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/1647
[2]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
[3]: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/%5BPROPOSAL%5D+2016-2017+Release+Cycle+and+Calendar<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/[PROPOSAL]+2016-2017+Release+Cycle+and+Calendar>

john.burwell@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden, London VA WC2N 4HSUK
@shapeblue

Re: Eliminating Support for Ubuntu 12.04

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.
> Op 24 augustus 2016 om 6:38 schreef John Burwell <jo...@shapeblue.com>:
>

> Wido,
>
> My only issue is dropping for any distro between patch releases.  If someone is running 4.9.0.0 on Ubuntu 12.04, and they need to update to 4.9.1.0+ (e.g. to get a CVE fix), they will be stranded.  This failure seems to fail the Law of Least Surprise.  While I recognize that it is unlikely that we have people running 4.9 on 12.04, it is impossible to be certain.  Therefore, I vote to play it safe, and continue to support it in 4.9 release branch.

I understand. That's why I said that Rohit should change the PR which is open now.

However, what frustrates me a bit is that I submitted the PR in May this year and we are having this discussion now, again. That PR should have been merged a long time ago.

> For master (i.e. 4.10.0.0), Wido makes a strong case for dropping Ubuntu 12.04.  If any users are using Ubuntu 12.04 when 4.10.0 is released, they would have a supported release well past the April 2017 EOL since 4.9 is an LTS release.  Therefore, removing Ubuntu 12.04 support from 4.10.0.0 seems like a Good Thing (tm) in terms of simplifying the code and testing matrix.
>
> Can everyone accept that the 4.9 release branch will be the last to support Ubuntu 12.04?  If so, we can repoint the PR and merge it.
>
> In terms of Ubuntu 16.04 support, ideally we would support it in 4.9.1.0+.  However, if I understand Wido correctly, supporting Ubuntu 12.04 and 16.04 in the same branch is very difficult or impossible.  Am I correct in my understanding?

Well, I am not 100% sure what will happen. Didn't test it either. It will probably still work, but I can't guarantee it.

Wido

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.
> Op 24 augustus 2016 om 7:47 schreef Makrand <ma...@gmail.com>:
>

> Guys,
>
> I am not sure on overall developer talk, but let me understand something
> here.
>
> Bit about setup:-
> So, at my new work place, we already have 5 zones (each zone with its own
> management server) with management node running on Ubuntu 12.04. ACS 4.4.2
> and XENserver 6.2.  It was setup by someone who isn't working here anymore.
> There are some internal issues (Technical and Non-technical) with whole
> setup and hence we don't have any immediate plans of upgrading 12.04 to
> forward one or even cloudstack for that matter.
>
> So If I get it correctly and you guys drop support for 12.04, say in 4.10,
> then I can only upgrade to 4.9.x any time in future. Is that it?
>
> Or If I decide to to upgrade to 4.10, then I should get my Ubuntu to 14.04
> or higher and then cloud stack?

Yes, indeed. Those systems would need to go to 14.04 but preferably 16.04 by then.

Wido

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

Posted by Makrand <ma...@gmail.com>.
Guys,