Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Erik R. Ogan" <er...@slackers.net> on 2001/05/11 20:55:27 UTC

Bold/Italic versions of user embedded fonts

This subject has been discussed at length on this list recently, but
the consensus is that you need a separate font for each of
{normal,bold,italic,bold-italic}.  This can be troublesome for fonts
for which only the normal TTF/Type1 is available.

More importantly, however, according to the PDF Reference
(second ed. (PDF 1.3) pp. 299):

	"If the font in a source document uses a bold or italic style,
	but there is no font data for that style, the host operating
	system will synthesize the style. In this case, a comma and the
	style name (one of Bold, Italic, or BoldItalic) are appended to
	the font name. For example, for a TrueType font that is a bold
	variant of the New York font, the BaseFont value is written as
	/NewYork,Bold"

Am I reading this incorrectly, or is FOP complaining unnecessarily? (when
it can't find a given font-triplet?)

This issue is particularly important to me, because I'm trying to use FOP
to match (within reason) the formatting of a particular set of documents
that make use of this PDF feature.  (For a Type 1 font.) And I've been
staring at the raw PDF in an effort to understand how it's doing that.

-e