Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Sunil Venkatesh <su...@umbc.edu> on 2011/09/13 19:45:50 UTC

Virtualization on POWER7

Dear all,

As informed by Dr. Yesha, we @ UMBC are working on provisioning virtual nodes from the POWER7 blade. And, I wanted to update regarding the restrictions that I have come across in achieving the same.

Virtualization with RedHat EL (RHEL) is not possible on POWER7 -

1. Latest version of RHEL - version 5 for power systems uses kernel version 2.6.18. However, KVM is only supported on kernels 2.6.24 or later.
2. Virtualization support in RHEL is available only under the x86 architectures. (http://www.redhat.com/rhel/server/virtualization_support.html#virt_matrix)

The only way, is to make use of PowerVM (an IBM product). I spoke to the IBM  Customer representative and he confirmed that the only way to perform virtualization on POWER is to make use of PowerVM. However, VCL does not have support for provisioning over PowerVM. I would like to know if it would be feasible to procure PowerVM and integrate it with the VCL framework. Please let us know your comments regarding the same.

Regards,
Sunil

Re: Virtualization on POWER7

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 18, 2011, at 10:36 AM, Sunil Venkatesh wrote:

> I have re-uploaded the files with the "Grant license to ASF for inclusion
> in ASF works" option selected.

Great. Thanks Sunil!

--kevan

Re: Virtualization on POWER7

Posted by Sunil Venkatesh <su...@umbc.edu>.
I have re-uploaded the files with the "Grant license to ASF for inclusion
in ASF works" option selected. Please let me know if you have problems in
integration.

PS- Changes to database are mentioned in the attached documentation.

Regards,
Sunil

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.
Thanks Sunil.  It looks like you uploaded the files correctly to the
Jira issue.  One of the current Apache VCL committers will need to
actually commit the code to the repository.  In order for VCL to
officially support Power7 in future releases someone will need to
periodically test it and make code updates accordingly.  If you're
willing to do this or are interested in making other code
contributions we can pursue making you a committer.  Please reply if
you're interested.  Also, please reply to the vcl-dev list for all
future correspondence.

Thanks,
Andy

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.