Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Dmitry Kudrenko <dm...@ardas.dp.ua> on 2007/10/26 14:04:24 UTC

Error notifications in the result report

Greetings, JMeter community!

I start my jmx plans from command line and it writes result in jtl
file. Then I build html report using xsl transforming. I have several
logical events in my test plan and want to receive notification in my
result report.

For example I have plan similar with the following:
-Loop
--HTTP Request
---Timer (1sec)
---RE Extractor (can extract message if it is in the response)
--if (isMessageReceived)
---messageCounter++;
-if (messageCounter < 10)
--Error ! (I want to show this error in the result report)

I send HTTP Request using wrong host name (for example: unknown host),
set HTTP Request name to error description and receive this error in my
result report.

Seems it is wrong approach. Can somebody give me advice what should I
do for getting error notifications in my report?

Thank you.
Dmitry Kudrenko
ARDAS group http://ardas.dp.ua

Re: Re[2]: Error notifications in the result report

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 26/10/2007, Dmitry Kudrenko <dm...@ardas.dp.ua> wrote:
> s> It seems to me that the samples which don't match the desired RE have
> s> failed, so I would use an Assertion instead of the Post-Processor.
> Yes, but all responses are right. They can have message or can not.
> I am counting how many requests contains messages which I need.
>
> So, I can't use assertion in this case.

OK

> s> However, if you don't want to do that:
>
> s> The Java Request sampler can be used to generate samples with almost
> s> any content you want; this could be used instead of an invalid HTTP
> s> sampler.
> Thanks, I will try. Seems it is what I need.
>
> s> The check you are doing is more on the lines of an Assertion, except
> s> that the Assertion depends on multiple previous samples, not just the
> s> last one.
>
> You are right, but in the real plan I have more complex logic. I used
> this example to illustrate what I want. :)

There have been some requests to be able to add arbitrary values to
samples for logging/documentation purposes; this would probably be
useful here as well.

However that has not yet been implemented (or even designed).

Posted by Dmitry Kudrenko <dm...@ardas.dp.ua>.
s> It seems to me that the samples which don't match the desired RE have
s> failed, so I would use an Assertion instead of the Post-Processor.
Yes, but all responses are right. They can have message or can not.
I am counting how many requests contains messages which I need.

So, I can't use assertion in this case.
s> However, if you don't want to do that:

s> The Java Request sampler can be used to generate samples with almost
s> any content you want; this could be used instead of an invalid HTTP
s> sampler.
Thanks, I will try. Seems it is what I need.

s> The check you are doing is more on the lines of an Assertion, except
s> that the Assertion depends on multiple previous samples, not just the
s> last one.

You are right, but in the real plan I have more complex logic. I used
this example to illustrate what I want. :)
s> You could probably use the BeanShell assertion to do this.
s> It could count the number of failures, and flag the last sample as an
s> assertion failure if the count is < 10.
Thank you a lot.

s> On 26/10/2007, Dmitry Kudrenko <dm...@ardas.dp.ua> wrote:
>> Greetings, JMeter community!
>>
>> I start my jmx plans from command line and it writes result in jtl
>> file. Then I build html report using xsl transforming. I have several
>> logical events in my test plan and want to receive notification in my
>> result report.
>>
>> For example I have plan similar with the following:
>> -Loop
>> --HTTP Request
>> ---Timer (1sec)
>> ---RE Extractor (can extract message if it is in the response)
>> --if (isMessageReceived)
>> ---messageCounter++;
>> -if (messageCounter < 10)
>> --Error ! (I want to show this error in the result report)
>>
>> I send HTTP Request using wrong host name (for example: unknown host),
>> set HTTP Request name to error description and receive this error in my
>> result report.
>>
>> Seems it is wrong approach. Can somebody give me advice what should I
>> do for getting error notifications in my report?
>>
>> Thank you.

Dmitry Kudrenko
ARDAS group http://ardas.dp.ua

Re: Error notifications in the result report

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
It seems to me that the samples which don't match the desired RE have
failed, so I would use an Assertion instead of the Post-Processor.

You can then count the successes and failures in the XSL processing.

However, if you don't want to do that:

The Java Request sampler can be used to generate samples with almost
any content you want; this could be used instead of an invalid HTTP
sampler.

The check you are doing is more on the lines of an Assertion, except
that the Assertion depends on multiple previous samples, not just the
last one.