Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/21 18:28:25 UTC

LICENSE and NOTICE question

Hi all,

I worked yesterday on putting the LICENSE and NOTICE files
to to OpenNLP project, which is now also at Apache (as many already know).

As part of that I looked at the UIMA files and wonder why
they only contain the Apache License. Beside the Apache and IBM notice
the Notice file is empty.

If I remember correctly, then the Cas Editor contains images
which are not AL licensed and came with a Notice.
Wouldn't that for us mean that we have to put the notice
and license in the NOTICE and LICENSE files for both
our binary and source distribution ?

Jörn

Re: LICENSE and NOTICE question

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

On 1/21/2011 12:28 PM, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I worked yesterday on putting the LICENSE and NOTICE files
> to to OpenNLP project, which is now also at Apache (as many already know).
>
> As part of that I looked at the UIMA files and wonder why
> they only contain the Apache License. Beside the Apache and IBM notice
> the Notice file is empty.
>
> If I remember correctly, then the Cas Editor contains images
> which are not AL licensed and came with a Notice.
> Wouldn't that for us mean that we have to put the notice
> and license in the NOTICE and LICENSE files for both
> our binary and source distribution ?

Yes, this seems correct.  I think we incorrectly assumed that the source
distribution for base UIMA didn't have content under other licenses and notices,
that we were shipping.

Can you open a Jira for this, and list (to the extent you can) the items which
have to be added?

-Marshall