Posted to dev@clerezza.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2012/11/02 10:28:24 UTC

The future of Clerezza

Hi,

We need to report to the Incubator PMC this month, I think it's a good
opportunity to discuss the future of this project.

What I see is:

Very low activity related to Clerezza's core "semantic CMS" mission

Some activity related to Clerezza's reusable semantic libraries

Obvious decrease in commit activity since 2010:
http://svnsearch.org/svnsearch/repos/ASF/search?path=%2Fincubator%2Fclerezza

Little activity on lists
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-clerezza-dev/ and
jira https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLEREZZA

Is anyone planning to work more on the core CMS parts soon?

Without that, I don't think the project can graduate as is, as the
activity on its core parts is not sufficient to sustain a project,
IMO.

The alternative would be to donate the semantic libs to Stanbol, and
shut down the rest - people are free to fork the code elsewhere
anyway.

WDYT?

-Bertrand

Re: The future of Clerezza

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Tommaso Teofili
<to...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...Could we aim to be a proper Stanbol subproject ?...

Not sure if that's needed, IMO the Stanbol PMC could just take care of
those few additional libraries as part of their normal activities.

-Bertrand

Re: The future of Clerezza

Posted by Tsuy Ito <ts...@trialox.org>.
Hi

We will discuss "the future of clerezza" this week. Currently, I agree with Bertrand's opionen. IMO main problem was/is some fundamental differences in the course of action between clerezza committers. So, we developed a lot of CMS modules on top of clerezza but did not contribute any of these utils, tools etc.

Regards
Tsuy

--trialox ag-------------------------------------
  tsuyoshi ito
  hardturmstrasse 101
  8005 zuerich

Re: The future of Clerezza

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
I think there would be willing to maintain / work on the RDF API at least
from a bunch of us (but obviously I can speak only for myself).
I personally would be happy to keep the Clerezza - UIMA stuff and it may be
ok for Stanbol as there is already something for that.

But however we perhaps should decide what we want to do first and then
identify which parts can be ported afterwards.

I tend to agree that the CMS stuff, even if good, has not been touched for
some time and therefore wouldn't make much sense to keep on that but if
Tsuy and/or others have different plans / point of views I'd be happy to
hear :)

Regards,
Tommaso

Re: The future of Clerezza

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Daniel Spicar
<da...@trialox.org> wrote:
> No it's not like that. The people are here already. What was happening is
> that there were disagreements and delays until Clerezza did the first
> release and therefore it was opted do development on a separate project
> based on Clerezza...

Ah ok, I see, thanks for clarifying.

I agree that the Apache model, which requires building consensus, can
sometimes slow down progress, and it requires effort for people to
adapt to that - including sometimes technical changes that help reduce
the "consensus friction area".

It's understandable that some people don't want to spend too much time
on those things, and Apache is not for all projects anyway, so if
people prefer to work on that code elsewhere it's not a problem. We
just need to draw the right conclusions here.

-Bertrand

Re: The future of Clerezza

Posted by Daniel Spicar <da...@trialox.org>.
No it's not like that. The people are here already. What was happening is
that there were disagreements and delays until Clerezza did the first
release and therefore it was opted do development on a separate project
based on Clerezza. However there are many things that could have been
contributed to Clerezza or things that should have been implemented in
Clerezza but were then 'privately' patched on branches of Clerezza in order
to avoid the complications experienced earlier. Probably not all of these
things would have been so controversial or time consuming but contributions
to Clerezza were only rarely attempted. Anyway these projects are not as
active anymore as to keep Clerezza CMS components alive by themselfs but I
think a lot of energy got diverted somewhere there.

Re: The future of Clerezza

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: The future of Clerezza

Posted by Daniel Spicar <da...@trialox.org>.
I could imagine there would be enough people that could support the RDF
libraries and data access layers. They are used not onnly in Stanbol and
when they are actually used people might put in the required effort. I
think part of the problem is that to me it didn't seem like the CMS
components are moving anywhere so I preferred to work on other projects in
my free time.

However there are still some projects that use Clerezza CMS components.
>From my experience they did not contribute much to Clerezza because the
effort and time needed to get changes approved and subsequently get a
module released scared them off from even trying. Maybe Clerezza CMS
components might still develop some life on places like GitHub where
collaboration is more informal and people can just fork it and implement
their changes and offer their changes as pull requests. In worst case it
will be a nice archive ;)

Daniel

Re: The future of Clerezza

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.