Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by Paul McCracken <pa...@gmail.com> on 2022/07/25 12:06:40 UTC

Thin/Thick client, caching

Hello everyone,

I am looking at building a C++ application (running in a docker image) that
is also an Ignite client.

I am looking at both thin and thick clients and have been doing some
performance testing on them.

During my testing, I have found that the thin client can be added to a
docker image without including the whole JDK (just the handful of Ignite
libraries, libjvm and a few others), whereas the thick client needs the
full JDK. Is that the case?

I am also looking at using the NearCache, but it looks like it is only
available with the thick client, and not the thin client. Again, is this
the case?

Has anyone used another caching system (redis, etc) to improve performance
of the thin client (ideally in a docker container)? Our application will
most of the time be used for about 25% write and 75% read, with hopefully
enough ram to store over half of what we need in cache. We will have some
use cases that are mostly read, but won't have anywhere close enough ram to
cache it all (but understand that performance will obviously suffer).

Thanks,
Paul

Re: Thin/Thick client, caching

Posted by Igor Sapego <is...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I somehow missed your message.

Yes, thick client starts a JVM with the whole Ignite inside, while thin
client does not and does not depend on JDK.
Actually, thick client is not only a client but can also be a C++ server
node.

You are right, NearCache is not available in C++ thin client.

It looks like thick client may be the most suitable solution for your case.

Best Regards,
Igor