Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Alan Wood <su...@netmean.com> on 2004/03/09 13:14:17 UTC

JAAS LoginModule

Hi I'm pretty new to Slide (and webdav for that matter) and am still getting
my head mangled by it (a few days a newbie).

I think it is an awesome thing that creates major opportunities when
integrating to our open source application server, congrats to the developers
on the code base so far.

The documentation however does not help in many situations which is why i
subscribed to this list, i already have a a number of questions:

1) I have just managed to get the JAAS LoginModule working in our application
server which uses Jetty (we r moving away from tomcat). Using the JAAS
loginmodule looked like the only way to do it with Jetty, and we had quite a
few probs getting it working. But something strange is happening, when I log
in as 'root' just using a browser at '/slide/files' for example The
Domain.xml file gets loaded up again? is this meant to happen. It caused a
lot of problems at first because when it happend it could not find
'Domain.xml' . When i start the app up it loads the Domain.xml perfectly. But
when it looks to load it a second time after a root login (for example) it
just looks for 'Domain.xml' without a path. the solution is to copy the
Domain.xml file to somewhere in the class path but this is obviously slightly
different for our application server particularly since the JAAS slide realm
is cretead programaticatlly outside of jetty.

#my login.config for JAAS is :
slide {
org.apache.slide.jaas.spi.SlideLoginModule required
namespace=slide;
};

here is the log output including trace when it fails to find domain.xml on a
login :

09 Mar 2004 12:07:57 - org.apache.slide.common.Domain - INFO -
Auto-Initializing Domain
09 Mar 2004 12:07:57 - org.apache.slide.common.Domain - INFO - Domain
configuration : {org.apache.slide.lock=true,
org.apache.slide.versioncontrol=true, org.apache.slide.debug=false,
org.apache.slide.search=true, org.apache.slide.security=true,
org.apache.slide.urlEncoding=UTF-8}
09 Mar 2004 12:07:57 - org.apache.slide.common.Domain - ERROR - Domain
initialization error : Domain.xml (No such file or directory)
12:07:57.169 WARN!! javax.security.auth.login.LoginException:
org.apache.slide.common.DomainInitializationFailedError: Domain
initialization error : Domain.xml (No such file or directory)
	at org.apache.slide.common.Domain.selfInit(Domain.java:766)
	at org.apache.slide.common.Domain.accessNamespace(Domain.java:237)
	at
org.apache.slide.jaas.spi.SlideLoginModule.initialize(SlideLoginModule.java:126)
	at
	at
	at javax.security.auth.login.LoginContext.invoke(LoginContext.java:662)
	at javax.security.auth.login.LoginContext.access$000(LoginContext.java:129)
	at javax.security.auth.login.LoginContext$4.run(LoginContext.java:610)
	at javax.security.auth.login.LoginContext.invokeModule(LoginContext.java:607)
	at javax.security.auth.login.LoginContext.login(LoginContext.java:534)
	at org.mortbay.jaas.JAASUserRealm.authenticate(JAASUserRealm.java:212)
	at
org.mortbay.http.BasicAuthenticator.authenticated(BasicAuthenticator.java:50)
	at org.mortbay.http.SecurityConstraint.check(SecurityConstraint.java:415)
	at
org.mortbay.http.HttpContext.checkSecurityConstraints(HttpContext.java:1552)
	at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHttpContext.checkSecurityConstraints(ServletHttpContext.java:134)
	at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationHandler.dispatch(WebApplicationHandler.java:235)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:567)
	at org.mortbay.http.HttpContext.handle(HttpContext.java:1808)
	at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationContext.handle(WebApplicationContext.java:525)
	at org.mortbay.http.HttpContext.handle(HttpContext.java:1758)
	at org.mortbay.http.HttpConnection.service(HttpConnection.java:790)
	at org.mortbay.http.HttpConnection.handleNext(HttpConnection.java:952)
	at org.mortbay.http.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:807)
	at org.mortbay.http.SocketListener.handleConnection(SocketListener.java:197)
	at org.mortbay.util.ThreadedServer.handle(ThreadedServer.java:289)
	at org.mortbay.util.ThreadPool$PoolThread.run(ThreadPool.java:501)

12:07:57.173 WARN!! AUTH FAILURE: user root
09 Mar 2004 12:08:04 - org.apache.slide.common.Domain - INFO -
Auto-Initializing Domain
09 Mar 2004 12:08:04 - org.apache.slide.common.Domain - INFO - Domain
configuration : {org.apache.slide.lock=true,
org.apache.slide.versioncontrol=true, org.apache.slide.debug=false,
org.apache.slide.search=true, org.apache.slide.security=true,
org.apache.slide.urlEncoding=UTF-8}
09 Mar 2004 12:08:04 - org.apache.slide.common.Domain - ERROR - Domain
initialization error : Domain.xml (No such file or directory)
12:08:04.433 WARN!! javax.security.auth.login.LoginException:
[...]

12:08:04.438 WARN!! AUTH FAILURE: user root

Re: JAAS LoginModule

Posted by Alan Wood <aw...@netmean.com>.
On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 13:38:13 +0100, Unico Hommes <un...@hippo.nl> wrote:

[snip]

The issues with the domain loading itself more than once ended up being
the result of multiple slide jars being installed . DOH!!
The jars were installed inside the slide war/WEB-INF/lib and in our
application server. Removing the jars from the slide webapp jar solves the
issue.

Thought I let everyone know in case it happens to them :)

--

managed.service@netmean.com
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Re: JAAS LoginModule

Posted by Unico Hommes <un...@hippo.nl>.
Alan Wood wrote:

>> Sorry for the long delay. I haven't been monitoring this list for a
>> while. Hope this is still relevant.
>>
>> It looks like the Domain is bootstrapped during initialization of the
>> JAAS LoginModule instead of by the SlideServlet which is the way it
>> should be. In this case the Domain is not given a specific location
>> to load the domain configuration from so it attempts to locate it by
>> itself.
>>
>> Now I haven't run into this problem. It is probably something
>> specific to the way the application server you are using is starting
>> its services or it may be a classloader issue. The former used to be
>> the case with the Tomcat SlideRealm and I remember working around
>> this by initializing the realm lazily to give the servlet time to
>> bootstrap the Domain first.
>>
>> Hope this gives you some pointers as to where to start debugging this
>> thing.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Unico
>> --
>

> I have had some issues with jar conflicts and sealed packages etc..
> Because I am devoping an application server the libraries can be
> loaded by the web application of the application server which loads
> jetty. I still have quite a bit to go through in order to eliminate
> some of these issues first. But I am using slide at the web
> application level (as the servlet) and also above jetty at the
> application level for administrating slide webdav users/groups, it may
> well be I am loading it twice and hence this could be the cause, I
> will be doing more with it to check out some of these possible issues.
> I assume i am doing the right thing by using the static :
>
> Domain.getDefaultNamespace();
>
> I could access the slide servlets NamespaceAccessToken from jetty's
> context, but i figured this may cause issues on transactions etc.. I
> assumed that using the Domain static method was the way one should get
> the NamespaceAccessToken . Is this a correct assumption?

Correct, yes. This is what the LoginModule does also. But keep in mind
that when calling this method the servlet should have had the chance to
initialize the Domain else the Domain will try to initialize using a
configuration from a standard location.

Btw. how do you figure using the NamespaceAccessToken from the servlet
context would cause issues with transactions?

--
Unico

--
Unico