Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Oleg <o....@dplanet.ch> on 2001/11/18 00:37:55 UTC

Please help save Tomcat for a high profile project in Switzerland: Problem compiling mod_webapp for IBM HTTP Server 1.9.19 running on AIX 4.3.3.

My insufficient knowledge of AIX platforms prevents me from successfully
compiling mod_webapp (as well mod_jk) on AIX 4.3.3 platform.
Hardware: IBM pSeries 660 model 6H1
OS: AIX 4.3.3 (not sure about exact maintenance level)
Web server: IBM HTTP Server 1.3.19
Servlet Engine: Tomcat 4.0.1
Tools & libraries: IBM's port of common GNU & other open-source packages
available at
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/aix/products/aixos/linux/download.html

Tomcat itself appears to be running flawlessly. Unfortunately due to my
poor knowledge of AIX I have been so far unable to recompile neither
mod_webapp nor mod_jk for the specified platform. Actually compilation
worked fine in both cases. What did fail was the 'ld' linker. As far as
I can judge about possible cause of failure, the linker requires a
module export (.exp) file in order to be able successfully complete
linking process. In this respect AIX appears to differ from Unixes, as I
had no problems at all building mod_webapp & mod_jk under Linux
(Mandrake 8.0 & Mandrake 8.1) as well as Solaris 8. The problem is
aggravated by the management's desire to use IBM HTTP Server instead of
plain Apache mainly due to IBM's SSL support, which is perceived to be
more secure.

Is my assumption right? If yes, is there a way I could generate that
damn .exp file for mod_webapp or somehow do without it? Has anyone ever
succeeded in compiling mod_webapp for IBM HTTP Server on AIX 4.3.3?

I have been informed by the management that if problem is not resolved
by mid next week Tomcat will be replaced with WebSphere 3.5 Standard
Edition. :(((

Please help save Tomcat for the project. Our work is highly visible. The
system will serve population of an entire Swiss canton. If successful
the system may be adopted by other cantons with Tomcat prominently
featured alongside some leading commercial products.

Many thanks in advance

Oleg Kalnichevski