Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by jingyu bai <ba...@hotmail.com> on 2015/04/29 19:34:53 UTC

How to create tagged PDF using PDFBox?

I searched the whole mailing list but only found free questions asking about this and no directly answer to this question. It seems pdfbox comes with a tagged package but no example shows how to use it. My understanding is that it can only do pdf-a/1b but not pdf-a/1a specification. Is my thinking correct? Can someone shed me some light here on how to using the api to do tagged PDF document? We need this feature for accessibility purpose.

Thanks,

Jingyu

Re: How to create tagged PDF using PDFBox?

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Am 29.04.2015 um 19:34 schrieb jingyu bai:
> I searched the whole mailing list but only found free questions asking about this and no directly answer to this question. It seems pdfbox comes with a tagged package but no example shows how to use it. My understanding is that it can only do pdf-a/1b but not pdf-a/1a specification. Is my thinking correct? Can someone shed me some light here on how to using the api to do tagged PDF document? We need this feature for accessibility purpose.

Hi,

About "it can only do pdf-a/1b but not pdf-a/1a specification" that is
preflight, our PDF/A-1b validator.

About creating a tagged PDF - you have to understand that PDFBox is very
low-level. To create a PDF, you'd need to understand at least some of
the PDF specification, in this case, how tagged PDFs are structured.

And no, I can't remember that it was ever done. And no, there is no example.

So you'd be the first one. We would help you if you can show that
something doesn't work properly.

The alternative: have a look at iText, this is more high-level. It is
free under certain conditions (that you publish your own source code).

Tilman