Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Paul Derbyshire <de...@globalserve.net> on 2000/05/28 13:14:46 UTC

XInclude, XSP, and Cocoon 1.7.5

At 09:01 AM 5/28/00 +0100, you wrote:
>> Yeah, but that would require making everything that might be included in
>> anything a *stylesheet*, which seems like (yet another) ugly hack to me.
>> I'd have no documents -- just stylesheets!
>
>Not what I meant - I mean you can share the *templates* for the data,
>not the data itself.

I'm doing that already. It's sharing the data that's the issue here.

>you XInclude the data into the article, and
>then <xsl:import> the *stylesheet* for the data into the article
>stylesheet.

That's basically what I've been trying to do, except without this XInclude
thing.

>XLink isn't yet implemented enough in cocoon2, really.

What? It's a cocoon 2 thing? What if someone wants to use it sooner?

>It was written by Donald. From what I've seen it's stable and
>effective. He's certainly not a guy who's prone to programming
>errors.

Hopefully not. Nonetheless, would there be a lot of discussion about the
feature if it worked perfectly?

>Up to you. It's one option.

Any pointers on what this XSP thing is? What software can be used to apply
its transformations, or whatever it contains?

>Heh. Indeed. Welcome to the cutting edge. Believe me, you should try
>playing with the stuff *I'm* working with at the moment...

Stuff such as ... ?

>Yep. True. The difference being that most of us lot proceed to
>design it, first.

I don't think that detracts from being a hacker... just means you get to
avoid those nasty kluges, ugly hacks, crocks, and so forth. :-)

>As I said, as far as I know, XInclude is working fine. The
>processor is certainly in CVS, although I don't know if it's
>been in a release yet (I'm a Cocoon 2 developer - I'm not
>really aware of Cocoon1.x's release specifications). For
>information about XInlude, take a peek at
>
>   http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude
>
>A brief synopsis is:
>
><rootelement xmlns:xinclude="http://www.w3.org/1999/XML/xinclude">
>	<!-- bulk of document here -->
>	<xinclude:include href="path_to_data.xml"/>
>	<!-- more document here -->
></rootelement>
>
>XInclude does not, and will not (since it is not part of the
>xslt specification) be supported by Xalan. You'd have to use
>Cocoon - ditto with XSP.

Will Cocoon 1.7.5 deal with it okay? Does anyone here know of any way to
invoke Cocoon 1.7.5 *using an API* and without a servlet context to convert
an XML file? (I'd rather avoid multiple/recursive JVM invocations if I
possibly can.)

--
   .*.  "Clouds are not spheres, mountains are not cones, coastlines are not
-()  <  circles, and bark is not smooth, nor does lightning travel in a

Re: XInclude, XSP, and Cocoon 1.7.5

Posted by Ricardo Rocha <ri...@apache.org>.
Paul Derbyshire wrote:
> Any pointers on what this XSP thing is? What software can
> be used to apply its transformations, or whatever it
> contains?

For an introduction to XSP, check:

    http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/xsp.html

For a description of XSP's internals (for Cocoon2, still in
the works), check:

    http://www.plenix.com/cocoon2/xsp-internals.html

For a presentation of logicsheet concepts, check:

    http://www.plenix.com/cocoon2/logicsheet-concepts.html