Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Nabarun Nag <nn...@apache.org> on 2019/10/24 21:24:49 UTC

Fwd: [PSA] Github branch protection

Hi, Geode dev Community,

This is an announcement that the GitHub branch protection rules are *now
active* on develop branch for Apache Geode.

The following rules are currently active :
- Require pull request reviews before merging - at least 1
- Require status checks to pass before merging
     [Only for
                - concourse-ci/Build
               - concourse-ci/UnitTestOpenJDK11
               - concourse-ci/UnitTestOpenJDK8
               - concourse-ci/StressNewTestOpenJDK11]

After we stabilize the remaining test suites, we can add them to these rule
sets.

Also reminding the community to use squash merge while closing pull
requests.

Regards
Naba

Re: [PSA] Github branch protection

Posted by Aaron Lindsey <al...@pivotal.io>.
Thanks, Naba. Are we now blocking merges for PRs that have
changes requested?

I have a PR right now where instead of the merge button it has the message,
"Merging can be performed automatically once the requested changes are
addressed." It also happens to not have any approvals, so it's possible
that the merge is actually blocked because there are no approvals. In this
case I find the message misleading.

- Aaron

[DISCUSS] review process documentation

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@pivotal.io>.
Below is everything I could find addressing our current process around making and reviewing commits.  If you’re a newer contributor, what topics are missing or unclear?  If you’ve been a committer for a long time, does what’s in the wiki align with your understanding?  Are there unwritten norms that might not be obvious to a new contributor?  Thanks for taking a few minutes to review.

VOTEs:

June 2017: Require committers to use GitHub PR’s <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/cc75b4743a3ecc4a7e278ba285d0d883822a7bc6079ad748f6a50d1e@%3Cdev.geode.apache.org%3E>

DISCUSSions:

Oct 2019: Blocking merge button in PR <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c3eb5c028cb3a4d76024f928a7a33c0311228f5dbbcaa86287bf5826@%3Cdev.geode.apache.org%3E>
Oct 2019: No-one is following our commit message formatting <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/e2e42ab3b9687efb2baecd27bc17fe033437a9ee3f0b79636cb663f0@%3Cdev.geode.apache.org%3E>
Jun 2019: Adopting a coding standard <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/5dc454470132cc59ed5e82db27fb359fd309adc7997cafc16f3b2dc7@%3Cdev.geode.apache.org%3E>
Sep 2018: Commit message formatting <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/016ee4921908f2d1bdad4a28c15b2af93f4908aa898290db6f7c17b5@%3Cdev.geode.apache.org%3E>
Sep 2018: Test code style (particularly logging) <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/86c94c9d3c734f29ecb7440de567f4b25832279f027e78c7f57ebd3e@%3Cdev.geode.apache.org%3E>
Sep 2018: Should we evaluate commit messages as part of PR review? <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/016ee4921908f2d1bdad4a28c15b2af93f4908aa898290db6f7c17b5@%3Cdev.geode.apache.org%3E>
Feb 2017: JIRA guidelines <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/bdd74ea6ad7f39ed27df1d3679340b5d2197aeff8f8c9c5b08c211d4@%3Cdev.geode.apache.org%3E>

WIKI pages:

Aug 2018: Criteria for Code Submissions <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GEODE/Criteria+for+Code+Submissions?src=contextnavpagetreemode>
Sep 2017: Code contributions <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GEODE/Code+contributions?src=contextnavpagetreemode>
Feb 2017: JIRA Guidelines <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GEODE/JIRA+Guidelines?src=contextnavpagetreemode>

PR template:

Mar 2019: PULL_REQUEST_TEMPLATE.md <https://github.com/apache/geode/blob/develop/.github/PULL_REQUEST_TEMPLATE.md>

Re: [PSA] Github branch protection

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@pivotal.io>.
I’d love to know what is our *current* process before discussing changing it.  Is there a link, or are new folks expected to read through every email from the past 5 years to establish context?

Posted by Kirk Lund <kl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@pivotal.io>.

Think of “request for changes” as an opportunity to collaborate.  From https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/code-review-the-ultimate-guide-aa45c358bbf5/ <https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/code-review-the-ultimate-guide-aa45c358bbf5/> :

Posted by Aaron Lindsey <al...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Nabarun Nag <nn...@apache.org>.
Edit: Helena has mentioned that a review can be dismissed.

[spelling mistake]

Posted by Nabarun Nag <nn...@apache.org>.
Hi Aaron / Kirk,

Posted by Aaron Lindsey <al...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Nabarun Nag <nn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Helena Bales <hb...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@pivotal.io>.
From https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html

"A code-modification proposal may be stopped dead in its tracks by a -1 vote by a qualified voter."

So I think this is consistent with Apache guidelines...

Posted by Kirk Lund <kl...@apache.org>.