Posted to user@cayenne.apache.org by John Huss <jo...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/22 00:21:49 UTC

Re: basic tutorial

This message should be on the user mailing list, not the dev list, so
please reply there.

Cayenne is not primarily intended to be used that way, so there is no
tutorial.  It is possible to do, but there's not really a good reason to
for a beginner.  Using the modeler prevents from having to know the whole
XML api - instead the screens may it fairly easily to figure out what you
need to do.

Anyway if you want to hand-code the XML you can create a mapping using the
modeler (or find an example) and then see how the XML looks, then follow
the same pattern.  There is also a DTD somewhere I believe.  But you should
really use the modeler, at least until you get a hang of the basics.  Even
if you decide to skip the modeler later, start with it first.

Re: basic tutorial

Posted by Michael Jaruska <mi...@gmail.com>.
and a lot of other software too :-)

Re: basic tutorial

Posted by Pascal Robert <pr...@macti.ca>.

Re: basic tutorial

Posted by Michael Jaruska <mi...@gmail.com>.
maybe, writing docu is my nightmare :-)

Re: basic tutorial

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Re: basic tutorial

Posted by Joseph Senecal <se...@apple.com>.
Actually I have well over 100 tables in the model I use with EOF (similar to Cayenne). Most of these tables join to other tables in a complex graph of connections. As with Cayenne I've never had to worry about SQL or editing the configuration by hand. It just works with no effort on my part. It has been a huge time saver, allowing a small team to work wonders of complex coding. We can concentrate on the logic of what we want to do and spend time on getting the data into and out of the database.

Joe

Re: basic tutorial

Posted by Michael Jaruska <mi...@gmail.com>.

Re: basic tutorial

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.

Re: basic tutorial

Posted by Michael Jaruska <mi...@gmail.com>.
everytime i edit everythink by hand - i'm working in time-critical business sector and
if i have wake-up call at two a.m. that somethink goes wrong in night-job there isn't time
to study what happen in "mega-giga-super-zoo" grafical tool that somethink has been
broken. i have to study logs and in small amount of time there is need to correct bug and
run job again. no problem with pure files (doesn't matter if .xml, .csv,...).

maybe to make opinion - my second main business language is assembler.

ok, i'm not so "productive" as if i used graphical tools but this disadvantage is balanced
in production that in 99% of errors i can in minutes debug error and correct it. has been
many times waked-up in night that "gui boys" can't find bug...

ok, i'm old-fashioned.

yes, looks like cayene is in some aspects better than hibernate.

Re: basic tutorial

Re: basic tutorial

Posted by Michael Jaruska <mi...@gmail.com>.

Re: basic tutorial