Posted to apachecon-discuss@apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com> on 2012/06/20 16:49:29 UTC

Apache OpenOffice at ACEU

The OpenOffice podling is very eager to get on with planning their
portion of the ACEU event. Of course this is *very* hard for them to
do when there is so
little information about what the event will look like and what
options are available to them.

As OOo the project had regular conferences of its own. It has an army
of volunteers
and it has an extremely high profile with end users. Furthermore, it
has cash available (as a by-product of the OOo fundraising efforts) to
make contributions towards its own event needs and TAC requirements.

As an AOO mentor and a member of ConCom I have encouraged them to just
get on with planning. I've indicated that I will work with ConCom to
ensure that their plans will, wherever practical and non-conflicting
with ACEU objectives, be incorporated into the broader event. I'm
watching their planning and will try and course correct if I see
problems arising. I've also asked them to make sure they report
regularly here.

Don already proposed a an AOO portion of the event [1] explaining AOO
"can easily fill (1) day worth of sessions, plus generate activity in
side sesssions; e.g. hacking, etc. " Don is on this list.

The community is coordinating planning at [2]

If there are any significant concerns about the potential of this (and
me) railroading this let me know what aspects worry you and I'll try
and ensure the planning team are aware, but we are just a few months
away now and planning needs to start.

Ross

[1] http://s.apache.org/pZE
[2] http://s.apache.org/4cp

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)

Re: Apache OpenOffice at ACEU

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Ross Gardler
<rg...@opendirective.com>wrote:

> The OpenOffice podling is very eager to get on with planning their
> portion of the ACEU event. Of course this is *very* hard for them to
> do when there is so
> little information about what the event will look like and what
> options are available to them.
>
> As OOo the project had regular conferences of its own. It has an army
> of volunteers
> and it has an extremely high profile with end users. Furthermore, it
> has cash available (as a by-product of the OOo fundraising efforts) to
> make contributions towards its own event needs and TAC requirements.
>
> As an AOO mentor and a member of ConCom I have encouraged them to just
> get on with planning. I've indicated that I will work with ConCom to
> ensure that their plans will, wherever practical and non-conflicting
> with ACEU objectives, be incorporated into the broader event. I'm
> watching their planning and will try and course correct if I see
> problems arising. I've also asked them to make sure they report
> regularly here.
>
> Don already proposed a an AOO portion of the event [1] explaining AOO
> "can easily fill (1) day worth of sessions, plus generate activity in
> side sesssions; e.g. hacking, etc. " Don is on this list.

Yes, I am on this list paying attention. :)  ... several hours ago I
submitted the GDocs form Nick sent out. [3]. I now need to jump back over
to [2] and update our planning wiki.