Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ilya Kazakevich <ka...@devexperts.com> on 2009/02/18 13:09:47 UTC

Context in [engine]/[host]/[app].xml and .war deployment

Hello,

I want to implement the following scenario:

Developer creates .war file, which expects all config to be in context.
He sends this file to IT guy who should create  [engine]/[host]/[app].xml
with all config he need, and copy .war file to webapps. Tomcat then should
depoly this app (or redeploy, if one already exists).
Next version of app could be easly copied to webapps and that redeployed.
So, here is two general ideas:
1) IT guy does not need to go inside of .war file, he may configure
application using  [engine]/[host]/[app].xml
2) New .war file can be deployed automatically, and redeployment does not
affect config (which is in [engine]/[host]/[app].xml file).

But when I create  [engine]/[host]/[app].xml and than start tomcat, it says:

"SEVERE: Error starting static Resources:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Document base
[CATALINA_HOME]/webapps/[MY_APP] does not exist or is not a readable
directory"
Well. it seems to be OK: I did not deploy .war file yet.
But when I deploy .war file -- tomcat does NOT deploy it, and even logs are
empty. Looks like tomcat does not see my new .war file.

Here are my questios:
1) Did I do something wrong?
2) Is it possible to implement my scenario?

Tomcat: 6.0

Thank you,

Ilya.