Posted to dev@continuum.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2009/06/30 02:32:32 UTC

questions about Selenium tests

Hi,

I was taking a look around at the source code and http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CONTINUUM/Selenium+Tests
  to try and figure out how I would add a test in future and had a few
questions.

Can we filter in the server ports in testng.properties so that they
can all be changed from one place? This would also mean that running
against your own instance would be -Dexisting-container -
Dcontainer.port=12345 instead of modifying the properties.

In the doc, it refers to two build runs, but wouldn't it be better to
illustrate the "mvn clean install -Pintegration" method of a single run?

Which sources are current? I see src/test/it, src/test/java and src/
test/testng. Preferably, they would all be under src/test/java to
minimise configuration if only one tree is needed.

What is the role of the selenium-ide files? Do they need to be
maintained concurrently?

It appears that the testng groups map one-to-one with the class name.
Is that correct? If so, are they needed since the include/exclude
could be done on class name instead? (the groups would be better
served to broader categories - eg, all maven1 functionality when the
tests span multiple classes).

What is the reason for listing all the groups directly? It seems easy
to forget. It would be better to just selectively exclude (and in the
docs at the moment, adding "excludes" is redundant if they aren't run
automatically?)

Is there anywhere other than the code/scripts that we have written
down the tests that are being used?

In the doc, the last section on creating/submitting patches could
probably be on the site more generally, not just for the tests.

Are there any tips for creating tests - such as setting up pre-
condition state (users, login, projects, etc), and ordering within in
the classes?

Thanks for the work on these!

Cheers,
Brett

RE: questions about Selenium tests

Posted by José Morales Martínez <jm...@gmv.com>.
I response between lines.

>>  Hi,
>>
>> I was taking a look around at the source code and http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CONTINUUM/Selenium+Tests
>>   to try and figure out how I would add a test in future and had a few
>> questions.
>>
>> Can we filter in the server ports in testng.properties so that they
>> can all be changed from one place? This would also mean that running
>> against your own instance would be -Dexisting-container -
>> Dcontainer.port=12345 instead of modifying the properties.

Yes, we can filter this property and set a maven property. It is a good idea.

>> In the doc, it refers to two build runs, but wouldn't it be better to
>> illustrate the "mvn clean install -Pintegration" method of a single run?
>>
>> Which sources are current? I see src/test/it, src/test/java and src/
>> test/testng. Preferably, they would all be under src/test/java to
>> minimise configuration if only one tree is needed.

'testng' package was initially intended to test with TestNG and 'it' package was intended  to test with JUnit.
TestNG has been updated, but T think JUnit has not been maintained.

>> What is the role of the selenium-ide files? Do they need to be
>> maintained concurrently?
>>
>> It appears that the testng groups map one-to-one with the class name.
>> Is that correct? If so, are they needed since the include/exclude
>> could be done on class name instead? (the groups would be better
>> served to broader categories - eg, all maven1 functionality when the
>> tests span multiple classes).

Currently, we get one-to-one (usual practice), but isn't mandatory.
We can use class instead test name. I usually have used test name and therefore I put this.

>> What is the reason for listing all the groups directly? It seems easy
>> to forget. It would be better to just selectively exclude (and in the
>> docs at the moment, adding "excludes" is redundant if they aren't run
>> automatically?)
>>
>> Is there anywhere other than the code/scripts that we have written
>> down the tests that are being used?
>>
>> In the doc, the last section on creating/submitting patches could
>> probably be on the site more generally, not just for the tests.
>>
>> Are there any tips for creating tests - such as setting up pre-
>> condition state (users, login, projects, etc), and ordering within in
>> the classes?
>>
>> Thanks for the work on these!

Gracias por su colaboracion.