Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Hardegree, Scott Tremain (ESS)" <Sc...@ngc.com> on 2013/03/22 16:23:59 UTC

[users@httpd] Question regarding Apache 2.2.x reverse proxy connecting to Outlook Web Access through Exchange Active Sync version 14 via Windows 8 Mobile

Hello All!

I have recently been dropped into the role of the Apache Tomcat and HTTPD "go-to" guy within our company as I am the most familiar with the inner-workings of our enterprise Apache reverse proxy environment.  I am by no means a subject matter expert and all knowledge I have gained thus far has been "trial by fire."  One of the many questions that was posed to me (as I understand it) was that in order for our company to transfer from Blackberry phones to Windows 8 phones, if we could leverage our existing Apache 2.2.x reverse proxy architecture to pass client certificates from a Windows 8 Mobile phone through Exchange Active Sync v14 ultimately accessing email through outlook web access (OWA).  I am now in the research stages and what I have found so far is:

1)  There is an issue with the RPC that is difficult and in most cases impossible to solve in Apache 2.2.x without a two solution approach via Apache 2.0.x or utilizing squid
2)  Even if the solution has been possible, there's been a huge performance hit which in most business cases, would be unacceptable.
3)  Most of the solutions that I have found so far has included abandoning Apache for Squid, IIS, or Microsoft Forefront UAG.  Our company does have access to all of those technologies, however, I would like to leverage the infrastructure that I have and ultimately learn more about Apache HTTPD.

My questions to the user community are:

1)  Is there a pure, one tier Apache 2.2 or 2.4 solution to providing a secure, stable, yet high performing way to handle the RPC to OWA?
2)  If there is not a solution yet, can this theoretically be accomplished via an Apache 2.2.x/Apache 2.4.x environment?  If so, I will start configuring my current environment and will document my process.  I am more than willing to share with the user community my findings and configurations.

Lastly, I would like to thank the user community for any assistance or guidance provided to me in advance.

Thanks,
Scott Hardegree