Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org> on 2019/05/21 23:10:25 UTC

Cluster with no overseer?

We have a 6.6.2 cluster in prod that appears to have no overseer. In /overseer_elect on ZK, there is an election folder, but no leader document. An OVERSEERSTATUS request fails with a timeout.

I’m going to try ADDROLE, but I’d be delighted to hear any other ideas. We’ve diverted all the traffic to the backing cluster, so we can blow this one away and rebuild.

Looking at the Zookeeper logs, I see a few instances of network failures across all three nodes.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org

Re: Cluster with no overseer?

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
110 isn’t all that many, well within the normal range _assuming_ that they are being processed…. When you restart Solr, every state change operation writes an operation to the work queue which can mount up.

Perhaps you’re hitting: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-13416?

In which case restarting ZK should fix it since all the work items are ephemeral and will go away if ZK restarts. Of course shut them all down rather than doing a rolling restart.

You shouldn’t need to clean anything in ZK associated with this since those are are all (I’m pretty sure) “ephemeral nodes” and should just disappear when ZK shuts down.

If you’re feeling really brave, you could try to use "bin/solr zk rm” to nuke the ephemeral nodes and try the rolling restart of Solr nodes, but only as a last resort IMO.

Best,
Erick

Re: Cluster with no overseer?

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.