Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2006/11/16 15:50:35 UTC

Branching 1.2 and Moving to 2.0 - Ready?

Dain,

I know you've been heads down getting 1.2 ready to go; things looks
excellent.  Based on the notes going around it seems like we're in a
good position to make a branch of 1.2 as it prepares its way for
userdom.  Will you be putting out a 24-hour branch notice today ?

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day."

Re: Branching 1.2 and Moving to 2.0 - Ready?

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
On 11/16/06, Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> wrote:
> What is the branch going to be?  I hope that we will branch trunk into
> branches/1.2 and then update trunk to 2.0-SNAPSHOT.
>
> If we use svk to facilitate merges on a timely basis then we should
> not get much drift between them.
>
> I heard some suggestion of copying trunk to branches/2.0 and then
> eventually replace trunk with branches/2.0 which seems offal
> backwards.

You are right. I still have nightmares about the dead-trunk we did at
the beginning of 1.2 :-)

Keeping the trunk for "futuristic" work seems to be the right thing to do.

> I think it may be time to make a branch to allow the JavaEE 5 work to
> continue while we finish up 1.2...  I recommend we:
>
>  * svn cp trunk branches/1.2
>  * update trunk to 2.0-SNAPSHOT
>  * setup svk to facilitate merges from branches/1.2 to trunk
>
> --jason

Cheers
Prasad

Re: Branching 1.2 and Moving to 2.0 - Ready?

Posted by Rick McGuire <ri...@gmail.com>.
Jason Dillon wrote:
> What is the branch going to be?  I hope that we will branch trunk into
> branches/1.2 and then update trunk to 2.0-SNAPSHOT.
>
> If we use svk to facilitate merges on a timely basis then we should
> not get much drift between them.
>
> I heard some suggestion of copying trunk to branches/2.0 and then
> eventually replace trunk with branches/2.0 which seems offal
> backwards.
>
> I think it may be time to make a branch to allow the JavaEE 5 work to
> continue while we finish up 1.2...  I recommend we:
>
> * svn cp trunk branches/1.2
> * update trunk to 2.0-SNAPSHOT
> * setup svk to facilitate merges from branches/1.2 to trunk
This feels like the correct approach to me.  I'm likely to have some
fixes for the last remaining tck issues, but I don't see that it will be
a problem committing these to both branches.  Many of the changes are
likely to be openejb changes anyway.

Rick

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 11/16/06, Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> wrote:
> What is the branch going to be?  I hope that we will branch trunk into
> branches/1.2 and then update trunk to 2.0-SNAPSHOT.
>
> If we use svk to facilitate merges on a timely basis then we should
> not get much drift between them.
>
> I heard some suggestion of copying trunk to branches/2.0 and then
> eventually replace trunk with branches/2.0 which seems offal
> backwards.
>
> I think it may be time to make a branch to allow the JavaEE 5 work to
> continue while we finish up 1.2...  I recommend we:
>
>  * svn cp trunk branches/1.2
>  * update trunk to 2.0-SNAPSHOT
>  * setup svk to facilitate merges from branches/1.2 to trunk
>
> --jason

 +1

Paul

Re: Branching 1.2 and Moving to 2.0 - Ready?

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Re: Re: Branching 1.2 and Moving to 2.0 - Ready?

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@apache.org>.
On 11/16/06, Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2006, at 5:25 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>
> > Yes, let's finish the updating the license headers first and get a
> > commitment from those working on 1.2 to merge all of their changes to
> > trunk.
> >
> > Here is my commitment to merge my changes!
> >
> > -dain
> >

> Thanks Dain...since your headed out of town I'll volunteer to watch
> the raceway for the header changes and coordinate the branch (not
> sure of all the new ins and outs of changing versions).  I'll also
> commit to staying with you on 1.2 to get it out and make sure we stay
> in sync.

Thanks, I'll be disconnected tomorrow evening while on the flight and
it would be great if you can watch the list then.

-dain

Re: Branching 1.2 and Moving to 2.0 - Ready?

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@apache.org>.