Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by "Ramkrishna.S.Vasudevan" <ra...@huawei.com> on 2012/02/03 07:44:52 UTC

Removing updateTimers() in AM if Timeout monitor period is set to 30 mins in 0.90

Hi devs

Currently the timeout monitor is kept at 30 mins in 0.90 branch.

In AM, whenever any region comes online we update the timers.

Consider a case where we have 20 regions to assign in a RS.  Out of 20, few
regions cannot be opened due to

Some error and they are still in RIT.

The remaining regions opened either this time or in the second cycle of
TimeoutMonitor.

Now because we update the timestamp for all the region in RIT in the master,
even the regions that failed in the first cycle will get updated to the
current time thus delaying the TM from deducting it to be assigned.

With TM period being 30 mins I feel removing the step of updating timers is
safer.  Please do suggest.

Regards

Ram