Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM> on 2006/01/14 01:55:31 UTC

Re: Locale configuration [Fwd: Re: Multi-language ApplicationResources.properties?]

Sorry, I just caught up on this thread and wanted to chime in.

I'm a little suprised that we weren't already doing this.  To be totally honest I actually thought that we were doing this and I guess I've just never tried changing my locale settings to test it.  What I'm wondering is what are the current translations of ApplicationResources being used for if not on the editing interface?

I *definitely* think the file renaming thing is the wrong approach, so lets not go down that road.  I believe all we should need to do is set the proper locale using the "fmt" jsp tag.  If you look in web/taglibs.jsp it appears that the locale is being set there.

What locale to set is somewhat more complicated.  I think the best option is to use the locale set in the users profile, but it would also make sense to use the browser locale.  I'm not sure which is better.

I am actually gathering some notes on our overall approach to language support and I'm planning to try and make some changes on the weblog rendering side of things to make language support better.  One of the things that Dave pointed out a little while ago is that we cache content in a language sensative manner based on brower locales rather than the locales a weblog supports.  This is a bit silly because there could be 3 copies of a page in the cache, one for en, ja, and sp languages even though the blog is only available in english.

Anways, as I dig through the language stuff myself I'll try and keep my eyes out for anything that would be relevant to what's been discussed in this thread.

-- Allen

Posted by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org>.
I've updated the LocalizationGuide page on the wiki to reflect this.

Thanks again.

--a.

Posted by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org>.
Great stuff Allen!  Thanks!

--a.

Posted by Sean Gilligan <se...@msgilligan.com>.
Allen Gilliland wrote:
> okay, I've just submitted a change that I think fixes this issue, at
> least for users logged into the editing interface.
Thanks!  Looking forward to checking it out...

Another issue with language/locale is that it can be difficult to set
your language if the default locale is Japanese, you have to be able to
know that 英語 is English to set your preferences correctly.  Perhaps a
better solution would be to have the default be to use the "accept"
language from the browser until set otherwise.

-- Sean

Re: Locale configuration [Fwd: Re: Multi-language ApplicationResources.properties?]

Posted by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org>.

Posted by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org>.