Posted to ojb-dev@db.apache.org by Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com> on 2004/02/23 15:34:05 UTC

JDO, was 1.0 final release

On Feb 23, 2004, at 6:22 AM, Antonio Gallardo wrote:

> Also what is the status of JDO? Are the test working here?

Antonio, as soon as 1.0 is out the door I am going to push hard to get
a native JDO implementation in asap.

I have heard from Matt privately and he wants to help out, but is more
or less insanely busy with work. I haven't heard anything from Raghu on
the list in a while, and I don't know Oleg's views re JDO. I believe
they have done most of the OTM work to date (which is awesome work,
btw).

I proposed a JDO-lite type implementation a while back -- but am not
sure how ideal that would be if it draws effort away from work on a
fully compliant JDO implementation (bytecode enhanced and casts to
PersistenceCapable allowed -- which we don't need to have a fully
working client api with everything except the cast).

What *are* people's thoughts on this? I heard support for the JDO-lite,
but putting effort into JDO-lite instead of JDO is a serious question.

-Brian

Re: JDO, was 1.0 final release

Posted by "Robert S. Sfeir" <ro...@codepuccino.com>.
Brian McCallister wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2004, at 1:40 PM, Robert S. Sfeir wrote:
>
>> I know I can't vote, however my opinion is that if any of those are
>> good solid impls, it would gain OJB a lot of clout to integrate with
>> them.
>

> No vote needed! Just asking opinions and laying plans -- yours is much
> appreciated!

You're welcome :-)

Re: JDO, was 1.0 final release

Posted by Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com>.

Re: JDO, was 1.0 final release

Posted by "Robert S. Sfeir" <ro...@codepuccino.com>.

Re: JDO (and OTM additions) (and maybe a PB addition)

Posted by Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com>.
On Mar 26, 2004, at 1:23 PM, Thomas Mahler wrote:

> I'm not absolutely sure about 1). Maybe it could be implemented as a
> specific FieldAccess strategy on the PB level.

That is exactly what I want to do, sorry it wasn't clear =)

> But I see at least 2) and 3) above the PB layer (presumably on the OTM
> layer).
> Why to you think that those should be handled on the PB level?

Adding the interface at the PB level would be solely be because of the
PB level FieldAccess strategy. It could be purely in the o.a.ojb.jdo
namespace if we wanted -- just didn't know if we wanted to provide
bytecode-enhanced optimizations as an option in general (no dependency
on the javax.jdo namespace).

-Brian

Re: JDO (and OTM additions) (and maybe a PB addition)

Posted by Thomas Mahler <th...@web.de>.
Hi Brian,

I agree with you that all three points are necessary to get a working
JDO implementation.

But I see at least 2) and 3) above the PB layer (presumably on the OTM
layer).
Why to you think that those should be handled on the PB level?

I'm not absolutely sure about 1). Maybe it could be implemented as a
specific FieldAccess strategy on the PB level.

cheers,
thomas

Posted by Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com>.

>>> http://xorm.sourceforge.net/
>>> http://speedo.objectweb.org/

Re: JDO, was 1.0 final release

Posted by Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com>.

Re: JDO, was 1.0 final release

Posted by Thomas Mahler <th...@web.de>.
Hi all,

Thomas Dudziak wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Brian McCallister wrote:
>

>>What *are* people's thoughts on this? I heard support for the JDO-lite,
>>but putting effort into JDO-lite instead of JDO is a serious question.
>

> I would vote for a complete implementation of JDO,

I'm also voting for a full implementation. But a "Lite" implementation
could be a start.

> but I wonder whether
> there is need for YAOSJI (yet another open source JDO implementation).

I generally agree with you. That's the way my JDORI plugin works. It's a
very clean separation of concerns.

> There at least four that I know of:
>
> http://jpox.sourceforge.net/
> http://xorm.sourceforge.net/
> http://speedo.objectweb.org/
> http://tjdo.sourceforge.net/
>
> Wouldn't it be more useful to approach one of them and propose an
> adaptation of their framework so that it uses OJB (AFAIK tjdo has an
> Apache License which would ease things) ?

I digged into some of those tool sime time ago, to see if there was a
chance of integration.
As of now I did not find a tool that would integrate easily with OJB.

- most tools don't have a clear separation beetwen object transaction
layer and o/r mapping engine. so integration won't be as easy as with
the JDORI.
- some of them provide limited functionality and are not JDO compliant
(and can't be made so without major redesign)
- I found some problematic source code which looked like verbatim copies
from the JDORI, which would cause us a lot of problems...

If there was an easy way, I'd be happy to go it!

cheers,
Thomas

Re: JDO, was 1.0 final release

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Brian McCallister dijo:

> On Feb 23, 2004, at 4:29 PM, Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>
>> My proposal is to review both 4:
>>
>> http://jpox.sourceforge.net/
>> http://xorm.sourceforge.net/
>> http://speedo.objectweb.org/
>> http://tjdo.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> Bases for selection:
>>
>> 1-Compatible AS License.
>> 2-level of implementation,
>> 3-Quality of code.
>> 4-others....
>
> <snip />
>
> 5-Ability to integrate -- some may be rather intimately tied to their
> O/R mapping technique.
>
> I am all for evaluating them and seeing if any are flexible enough to
> do this -- you willing to help?

I am happy for your proposal. I thought we can build a matrix with all the
features and compare them:

Features | Candidate A | Candidate B ....
ASL          Yes              Yes

Maybe using OJB wiki (if it exists) will be fine to publish this matrix
based on our own analysis. That way, other developers not involved in this
work will be able to see the result and help us to choice the right
candidate.

WDYT?

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: JDO, was 1.0 final release

Posted by Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com>.
On Feb 23, 2004, at 4:29 PM, Antonio Gallardo wrote:

> My proposal is to review both 4:
>
> http://jpox.sourceforge.net/
> http://xorm.sourceforge.net/
> http://speedo.objectweb.org/
> http://tjdo.sourceforge.net/
>
> Bases for selection:
>
> 1-Compatible AS License.
> 2-level of implementation,
> 3-Quality of code.
> 4-others....

<snip />

5-Ability to integrate -- some may be rather intimately tied to their
O/R mapping technique.

I am all for evaluating them and seeing if any are flexible enough to
do this -- you willing to help?

The JISP thing is annoying, I have been following that too. It does
remind me of the absolutely critical importance of maintaining loose
coupling between components though -- something we need to make sure we
continue to do in OJB.

-Brian

Re: JDO, was 1.0 final release

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
My proposal is to review both 4:

http://jpox.sourceforge.net/
http://xorm.sourceforge.net/
http://speedo.objectweb.org/
http://tjdo.sourceforge.net/

Bases for selection:

1-Compatible AS License.
2-level of implementation,
3-Quality of code.
4-others....

The choosed one MUST have an ASL 2.0 compatible license. To me the best
will be if we can send a formal invitation to project commiters to join
ASF and start a incubation of these project under the ASF umbrella or
(maybe) directly inside the OJB project.

Why? From current experiences in Cocoon (related to jisp - changed in
version 3.0 to GPL):

And others similars experiences, I have concerns of using third party
projects because they can change the licenses at any time and if the JDO
implementation will be a very important piece of OJB, then we cannot risk
this at all.

Long time ago I proposed too TJDO, but Thomas have some concerns about it.
Not sure if this is still valid.

WDYT?

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: JDO, was 1.0 final release

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@first.gmd.de>.
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Jakob Braeuchi wrote:

> hi thomas,
>
> i assume that those jdo-implementations have their own or-mapper under the hood
>   and i doubt that they are eager to change it.

Probably (I know that TJDO has), but my belief is that both projects would
gain much:

* The jdo impl would get a solid and active db abstraction layer that
has transactions, works in clustered and managed environments, supports
all mayor databases (including oracle, db2, mssql) etc. etc. etc. In a
word, they wouldn't have to do the 'dirty' work of coding in sql for a
multitude of databases anymore, and at the same time gain new
developers that do this dirty work for them ;-) and also gain lots of new
functionality.

* The advantages for OJB are obvious, I guess: gaining a JDO
implementation, more users (and developers), more time to develop other
important stuff ;-)

I'm not talking about merging the two, but rather that after the 1.0, we
should perhaps first check whether any of the existing jdo impls could be
put on top of OJB without too much effort. If thats the case, we could
create such an integration prototype, and then propose it to the jdo impl
developers.
If not, well, then we can still develop our own jdo impl, right ?!

Tom

Re: JDO, was 1.0 final release

Posted by Jakob Braeuchi <jb...@gmx.ch>.
hi thomas,

i assume that those jdo-implementations have their own or-mapper under the hood
  and i doubt that they are eager to change it.
but of course it would reasonable to put such a tool on top of ojb.

jakob

Re: JDO, was 1.0 final release

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@first.gmd.de>.