Posted to dev@oozie.apache.org by Johannes Schwenk <jo...@adition.com> on 2012/09/26 18:02:39 UTC

Configure logging

Hi all,

since the oozie logs get flooded with messages like

2012-09-26 14:59:37,843 WARN org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration:
fs.default.name is deprecated. Instead, use fs.defaultFS

I want to suppress warnings from org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration
class. So I edited /etc/oozie/conf.dist/oozie-log4j.properties to
contain the following new lines:

# Disable warnings about configuration
log4j.appender.org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration=ERROR, oozie
log4j.logger.org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration=ERROR, oozie

I restarted Oozie but nothing changed, warnings keep appearing.

How can I fix this?

Greetings,
Johannes Schwenk

--
Softwareentwickler (Reporting)

ADITION technologies AG
Schwarzwaldstraße 78b
79117 Freiburg

http://www.adition.com

T +49 / (0)761 / 88147 - 30
F +49 / (0)761 / 88147 - 77
SUPPORT +49  / (0)1805 - ADITION

(Festnetzpreis 14 ct/min; Mobilfunkpreise maximal 42 ct/min)

Eingetragen beim Amtsgericht Düsseldorf unter HRB 54076
Vorstände: Andreas Kleiser, Jörg Klekamp, Tihomir Perkovic, Marcus Schlüter
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Rechtsanwalt Daniel Raimer
UStIDNr.: DE 218 858 434

Re: Configure logging

Posted by Johannes Schwenk <jo...@adition.com>.
Hi Mona,

thanks for bringing me on the right track! I was actually editing

/etc/oozie/conf/oozie-log4j.properties

not .../conf.dist/...

- which was still the wrong place apparently. The Oozie server command
line of the running process showed

/usr/lib/oozie/oozie-server-0.20/conf/logging.properties

as beeing explicitly passed as a config for logging with Apache Juli. I
tried to set the right options there, but did not get it working. I then
stumbled upon an option in the Cloudera Manager interface where I could
inject my additional config lines. This works like a charm!

I'm still interested in where the log4j config is read from though.

Thanks again,
Johannes

Am 02.10.2012 01:04, schrieb Mona Chitnis:
> Hi Johannes,
>
> Your steps were appropriate as the log4j appender follows the inheritance
> model and your specification for the child "hadoop.conf.Configuration" to
> a different value, should override the parent 'hadoop' logger level. So it
> should have worked, unless the file you edited was wrong. Are you sure
> that /etc/oozie/conf.dist/oozie-log4j.properties is the correct file for
> your setup? Just to make sure, can you tweak one of the 'org.apache.oozie'
> logger levels and see if it gets reflected?

> Mona Chitnis
>

> On 9/26/12 9:02 AM, "Johannes Schwenk" <jo...@adition.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> since the oozie logs get flooded with messages like
>>
>> 2012-09-26 14:59:37,843 WARN org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration:
>> fs.default.name is deprecated. Instead, use fs.defaultFS
>>
>> I want to suppress warnings from org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration
>> class. So I edited /etc/oozie/conf.dist/oozie-log4j.properties to
>> contain the following new lines:
>>
>> # Disable warnings about configuration
>> log4j.appender.org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration=ERROR, oozie
>> log4j.logger.org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration=ERROR, oozie
>>
>> I restarted Oozie but nothing changed, warnings keep appearing.
>>
>> How can I fix this?
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Johannes Schwenk
>>
>> --
>> Softwareentwickler (Reporting)
>>
>> ADITION technologies AG
>> Schwarzwaldstraße 78b
>> 79117 Freiburg
>>
>> http://www.adition.com
>>
>> T +49 / (0)761 / 88147 - 30
>> F +49 / (0)761 / 88147 - 77
>> SUPPORT +49  / (0)1805 - ADITION
>>
>> (Festnetzpreis 14 ct/min; Mobilfunkpreise maximal 42 ct/min)
>>
>> Eingetragen beim Amtsgericht Düsseldorf unter HRB 54076
>> Vorstände: Andreas Kleiser, Jörg Klekamp, Tihomir Perkovic, Marcus
>> Schlüter
>> Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Rechtsanwalt Daniel Raimer
>> UStIDNr.: DE 218 858 434

Johannes Schwenk

Re: Configure logging

Posted by Mona Chitnis <ch...@yahoo-inc.com>.