Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@kodemuse.com> on 2003/01/18 23:39:36 UTC

cvs problems.

I am hitting a CVS issue.

Here is what I was attempting to do

- Port Noel's NNTP patches to 3.0 branch. For some reason they were
  not there. From CVS I thought they should have been but they were not.
- Remove use of Socket:isClosed API. This breaks JDK 1.3 compatibility.

Checked in changes to 3.0. Compiled ran some tests etc.
operated on
cvs -d :pserver:hbedi@localhost:/home/cvs co jakarta-james

After that I tried to get 2.1 using
cvs -d :pserver:hbedi@localhost:/home/cvs co -j branch_2_1_fcs jakarta-james

To my surprise my changes in 3.0 and earlier smtp handler changes had
been merged into 2.1 with sections in source code indicating
differences. This breaks build.

For instance here is what I see in SMTPHandler.java source code from
2.1 branch.

<<<<<<< SMTPHandler.java
        //Read through for \r or \n
        ByteArrayOutputStream bout = new ByteArrayOutputStream();
        byte b = -1;
        while (true) {
            b = (byte) in.read();
            if (b == 13) {
                //We're done, but we want to see if \n is next
                in.mark(1);
                b = (byte) in.read();
                if (b != 10) {
                    in.reset();
                }
                break;
            } else if (b == 10) {
                //We're done
                break;
            } else if (b == -1) {
                break;
            }
            bout.write(b);
        }
        // An ASCII encoding can be used because all transmissions other
        // that those in the DATA command are guaranteed
        // to be ASCII
        return bout.toString("ASCII").trim();
=======
        String commandLine = inReader.readLine();
        if (commandLine != null) {
            commandLine = commandLine.trim();
        }
        return commandLine;

I am fixing it manually, but something to watch for. There may be a
CVS process that we are not following. Does anyone know how to checkin
stuff into 3.0 branch not have it impact 2.1 branch ?

Harmeet

Re: cvs problems.

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@kodemuse.com>.
Sorry, this was my mistake

should have done
cvs -d :pserver:hbedi@localhost:/home/cvs co -r branch_2_1_fcs jakarta-james

instead of
cvs -d :pserver:hbedi@localhost:/home/cvs co -j branch_2_1_fcs jakarta-james

anyhow something to watch out for if you make the mistake of using '-j'
Harmeet