Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Dipak Patel <Di...@atinet.com> on 2004/01/08 02:46:46 UTC

Memory pools -- support for moving a sub-pool from one pool to an other

This is the third time I'm asking this question. Can anyone please tell me
how to use some built in feature of the apr memory pool module to move a
sub-pool to under another pool? Our software makes use this type of feature
to pass messages from on layer to another where each layer has its own pool.
We simply want to take the entire sub-pool and assign it to a new parent.

We are considering the use of APR memory pool feature in our commercial
product but I have not been too impressed with the support out there.

------------------------------
Dipak M. Patel
Email:   dipakp@atinet.com
Phone: 408-350-7038    408-350-7021 (fax)
www.atinet.com

Re: Memory pools -- support for moving a sub-pool from one pool to an other

Posted by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu>.

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 03:21, Sander Striker wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 02:46, Dipak Patel wrote:
> > This is the third time I'm asking this question. Can anyone please
> > tell me how to use some built in feature of the apr memory pool module
> > to move a sub-pool to under another pool? Our software makes use this
> > type of feature to pass messages from on layer to another where each
> > layer has its own pool. We simply want to take the entire sub-pool and
> > assign it to a new parent.
>
> Doable.  Should be a fairly tiny patch to make this possible.

Oh, except ofcourse when you are going to take allocators into account.
I'm not so sure you want to have memore be allocated from one allocator
and freed to another...  So you would need to restrict that.

Sander

Re: Memory pools -- support for moving a sub-pool from one pool to an other

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 02:46, Dipak Patel wrote:
> This is the third time I'm asking this question. Can anyone please
> tell me how to use some built in feature of the apr memory pool module
> to move a sub-pool to under another pool? Our software makes use this
> type of feature to pass messages from on layer to another where each
> layer has its own pool. We simply want to take the entire sub-pool and
> assign it to a new parent.

Doable.  Should be a fairly tiny patch to make this possible.  It would
be a 'BEWARE! USE AT OWN RISK!' feature, since you are going to mess
with lifetimes and such (and cleanup ordering since the child cleanups
happen at a different time than at original parent destroy).  Be careful
with lifetime dependencies.

> We are considering the use of APR memory pool feature in our
> commercial product but I have not been too impressed with the support
> out there.

Excuse me?  This is exactly the sort of comment that demotivates me
to write the actual patch.

Sander

Re: Memory pools -- support for moving a sub-pool from one pool to an other

Posted by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu>.
On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Dipak Patel wrote:

> This is the third time I'm asking this question. Can anyone please tell me
> how to use some built in feature of the apr memory pool module to move a
> sub-pool to under another pool? Our software makes use this type of feature
> to pass messages from on layer to another where each layer has its own pool.
> We simply want to take the entire sub-pool and assign it to a new parent.

There's not really a good way to move a subpool... or at least none I'm
aware of.  Sander could answer that with more certainty.  But basically
you'd have to individually move the items in the old subpool to the new
subpool, which is not really a particularly easy thing to do.

:-/

--Cliff

Re: Memory pools -- support for moving a sub-pool from one pool to an other

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 14:30, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Dipak Patel wrote:
> > We are considering the use of APR memory pool feature in our commercial
> > product but I have not been too impressed with the support out there.
>
> Perhaps you should consider paying more for it, then.

ROTFL.  That's one way to get someone to dedicate time to something ;).

Sander

Re: Memory pools -- support for moving a sub-pool from one pool to an other

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Dipak Patel wrote:
> This is the third time I'm asking this question. Can anyone please tell
> me how to use some built in feature of the apr memory pool module to
> move a sub-pool to under another pool? Our software makes use this type
> of feature to pass messages from on layer to another where each layer
> has its own pool. We simply want to take the entire sub-pool and assign
> it to a new parent.
>
> We are considering the use of APR memory pool feature in our commercial
> product but I have not been too impressed with the support out there.

Perhaps you should consider paying more for it, then.

Cheers,

Ben.