Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Erik Drolshammer <dr...@idi.ntnu.no> on 2007/10/02 11:11:00 UTC

POM-project as parent

Hi!
Context:
I have a set of projects and some of these should use webstart (jnlp). I
have set up and configured the maven-webstart-plugin. This configuration
have I made generic and put in a separate project with packaging pom and
let the projects that need jnlp inherit from this parent. The parent is
available from the company Artifactory instance.

Problem:
If I check out a project that needs jnlp and have a clean local repo,
the build fails because the parent can't be found.

(I have notice the relativePath-option, but this requires that the
parent project has also been checked out, so this option was rejected.)

Is there a clean way to solve this or must I dismiss the parent project
and duplicate the config to the projects that needs it?

Please advice, thanks in advance.

--
Regards
Erik Drolshammer

Re: POM-project as parent

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> IMO the relative path option was a terrible idea and never should have been
> allowed it just encourages people to make weird fixed deps between projects
> that never resolve for other developers

Couldn't agree more!

Wayne

Re: POM-project as parent

Posted by Michael McCallum <gh...@apache.org>.
you should define your repositories in a profiles.xml or the settings.xml and
provide that to the users...

don't define the repositories in the parent pom, from my understanding this
will be the recommended approach going forward with maven 2.1... it resolves
many problems particularly in commercial settings

IMO the relative path option was a terrible idea and never should have been
allowed it just encourages people to make weird fixed deps between projects
that never resolve for other developers

you will still need to put the distribution managment in the parent pom for
consistency though

On Tuesday 02 October 2007 22:15, Jörg Schaible wrote:
> Erik Drolshammer wrote on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 11:11 AM:
> > Hi!
> > Context:
> > I have a set of projects and some of these should use
> > webstart (jnlp). I
> > have set up and configured the maven-webstart-plugin. This
> > configuration have I made generic and put in a separate project with
> > packaging pom and
> > let the projects that need jnlp inherit from this parent. The
> > parent is
> > available from the company Artifactory instance.
> >
> > Problem:
> > If I check out a project that needs jnlp and have a clean local repo,
> > the build fails because the parent can't be found.
> >
> > (I have notice the relativePath-option, but this requires that the
> > parent project has also been checked out, so this option was
> > rejected.)
> >
> > Is there a clean way to solve this or must I dismiss the
> > parent project
> > and duplicate the config to the projects that needs it?
>
> Simpy release this parent POM.
>
> - Jörg

Michael McCallum
Enterprise Engineer