Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/28 15:21:43 UTC

Alphas and betas: really?

One of the quirks of the Maven community, as seen from the outside, is
the tendency to call things 'alpha' and 'beta'.

I think that this is confusing. Most people assume that an 'alpha' has
significant instability, and should be used only by the few and the
brave. Even a 'beta' would generally raise qualms about production.
Yet we have things that drift along with those terms in their version
numbers for years on end, and we even sometimes make the superpom
default to them.

In my view, anyone releasing something with one of these 'aged' alpha
or beta versions should ask themselves if there's any good reason
*not* to just declare '1.0'.

Re: Alphas and betas: really?

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@zenior.no>.
I think we sort-of decided that a couple of years ago and have managed
to get rid of quite a few. Just go 1.0..

Re: Alphas and betas: really?

Posted by Chris Graham <ch...@gmail.com>.
Agreed. I've have a few managers express concern about the usage of the
term 'alpha' and 'beta' etc.

-Chris