Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Randy Lynn <rl...@getavail.com> on 2018/06/28 14:02:58 UTC

C* in multiple AWS AZ's

I have a 6-node cluster I'm migrating to the new i3 types.
But at the same time I want to migrate to a different AZ.

What happens if I do the "running node replace method" with 1 node at a
time moving to the new AZ. Meaning, I'll have temporarily;

5 nodes in AZ 1c
1 new node in AZ 1e.

I'll wash-rinse-repeat till all 6 are on the new machine type and in the
new AZ.

Any thoughts about whether this gets weird with the Ec2Snitch and a RF 3?

--
Randy Lynn
rlynn@getavail.com

office:
859.963.1616 <+1-859-963-1616> ext 202
163 East Main Street - Lexington, KY 40507 - USA

<https://www.getavail.com/> getavail.com <https://www.getavail.com/>

Re: C* in multiple AWS AZ's

Posted by Jeff Jirsa <jj...@gmail.com>.
The single node in 1e will be a replica for every range (and you won’t be able to tolerate an outage in 1c), potentially putting it under significant load

--
Jeff Jirsa

Re: C* in multiple AWS AZ's

Posted by Pradeep Chhetri <pr...@stashaway.com>.
Just curious -

From which instance type are you migrating to i3 type and what are the
reasons to move to i3 type ?

Are you going to take benefit from NVMe instance storage - if yes, how ?

Since we are also migrating our cluster on AWS - but we are currently using
r4 instance, so i was interested to know if you did a comparison between r4
and i3 types.

Regards,
Pradeep

Re: C* in multiple AWS AZ's

Posted by Randy Lynn <rl...@getavail.com>.
Thanks Alain,

Wanted to just circle back on all the above..
Thanks everyone for your help, and input.

I'm glad to hear someone else did a site-to-site tunnel with Cassandra
between regions. When originally setting up all the docs and information
all preached public IP's. I can totally understand that it's probably a
throughput / latency problem that the tunnel introduces, but so far it
seems to be working well.  The tunnel is stable too, which originally I was
concerned with hiccups and maintenance on the tunnel.

I did go with GPFS. The move went great. The new i3 nodes are pretty
awesome - especially the NVMe!
I did go with ubuntu 16.04 LTS versus the AWS Linux AMI. So far no
stability problems with the NVMe or the i3 in general with the Ubuntu 16.04.

Re: C* in multiple AWS AZ's

Posted by Alain RODRIGUEZ <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: C* in multiple AWS AZ's