Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by buddhasystem <po...@bnl.gov> on 2011/01/29 23:20:18 UTC

TSocket timing out

When I do a lot of inserts into my cluster (>10k at a time) I get timeouts
from Thrift, the TScoket.py module.

What do I do?

Thanks,

Maxim

Re: TSocket timing out

Posted by Dave Revell <da...@meebo-inc.com>.
Under heavy load, this could be the result of the server not accept()ing
fast enough, causing the number of pending connections to exceed the listen
backlog size in the kernel.

I believe Cassandra uses the default of 50 backlogged connections.

This is one of the reasons why a persistent connection pool is a good idea.

-Dave
On Jan 30, 2011 1:14 AM, "aaron morton" <aa...@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
> Am assuming these are client side side timeouts, you could increase the
client side timeout when the TSocket is created. Are you using a higher
level library or raw Thrift?.

> Alternatively you may be overloading the cluster. Are there are WARN
messages in the cluster about Dropped Messages ?

> Aaron
>
> On 30 Jan 2011, at 14:19, Courtney Robinson wrote:
>
>> It may also be an idea to check the node's memory usage. I encountered
this on a few occasions and I simply killed
>> any unneeded process that was eating away my node's memory. In each
instance it worked fine after there was about 300MB of free memory

will retry to different nodes in your cluster and the retry mechanisms is
tunable as well.

>> On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 2:20 PM, buddhasystem <po...@bnl.gov> wrote:
>>
>> When I do a lot of inserts into my cluster (>10k at a time) I get
timeouts
>> from Thrift, the TScoket.py module.
>>
>> What do I do?
>>
>> Thanks,