Posted to api@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/04 23:40:30 UTC

Null DN constant

  Hi,

any preference between EMPTY_DN, NULL_DN or ROOT_DN for a null DN constant ?

We currently use EMPTY_DN, but I'm inclined to also create a ROOT_DN
constant as it's semantically different.

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: Null DN constant

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
On 5 sept. 2010, at 07:27, Kiran Ayyagari wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 3:10 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  Hi,
>>
>> any preference between EMPTY_DN, NULL_DN or ROOT_DN for a null DN constant ?
>>
>> We currently use EMPTY_DN, but I'm inclined to also create a ROOT_DN
>> constant as it's semantically different.
> AFAIU an empty DN is a root dn (as in for RootDSE), so keeping it as
> EMPTY_DN sounds
> appropriate to me (a user should know that an empty DN *can* be a root DN).

+1

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

Re: Null DN constant

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 3:10 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hi,
>
> any preference between EMPTY_DN, NULL_DN or ROOT_DN for a null DN constant ?
>
> We currently use EMPTY_DN, but I'm inclined to also create a ROOT_DN
> constant as it's semantically different.
AFAIU an empty DN is a root dn (as in for RootDSE), so keeping it as
EMPTY_DN sounds
appropriate to me (a user should know that an empty DN *can* be a root DN).

> --
> Regards,
> Cordialement,
> Emmanuel Lécharny