Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Dominique Bejean <do...@eolya.fr> on 2020/12/11 17:46:07 UTC

Solrcloud load balancing / failover

Hi,

Is there in Solrcloud any load balancing based on CPU load on Solr nodes ?

If for shard a replica fails to handle a query, the query is sent to
another replica in order to be completed ?

Regards

Dominique

Re: Solrcloud load balancing / failover

Posted by Dominique Bejean <do...@eolya.fr>.
Hi,
Thank you for your response.
Dominique

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
No, the load balancing is based on random selection of replicas and
CPU is not consulted. There are limited ways to influence the replica
selection, see https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_4/distributed-requests.html#shards-preference-parameter

If a replica fails then the query fails and an error is returned. I
think (but I am not sure) that SolrJ retries the request on some
specific errors in which case a different replica may be selected and
the request may succeed.

IMO, these are two weak areas of Solr right now. Suggestions/patches
are welcome :-)

On 12/11/20, Dominique Bejean <do...@eolya.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there in Solrcloud any load balancing based on CPU load on Solr nodes ?
>
> If for shard a replica fails to handle a query, the query is sent to
> another replica in order to be completed ?
>
> Regards
>
> Dominique

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.