Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2004/08/04 19:46:29 UTC

Re: apply changes in XSLs after revision update (was: How to create a patch for forrest)

Johannes Schaefer wrote:
> We are using the forrest development version
> and getting it via svn. To stay up-to-date
> we get a new copy now and then.

Good. However you should do that as often as possible.

> After that
> we copy our "documentation" tree into the
> forrest-dir for the new revision. So far so
> good.

No, not good. I do not understand what you are doing.
Why are you copying stuff into the Forrest source tree?

If you are building your own documentation then it
should be completely outside of Forrest, e.g. over
in /home/you/my-docs/ do a 'forrest seed' and add your
new documentation in there.

> We changed some forrest-core styleguides to
> our needs (and tastes). Now, after each
> update we have to apply these changes to the
> new revision.

Why can't you do it how i described in the last thread?
When you do 'svn update', if there were any source changes
to the files that you have modified, then those changes
will get safely merged with yours. If there are conflicts
because someone changed the exact same portion of the file
that you changed, then you will be warned and you will
need to fix them.

--
David Crossley

Re: apply changes in XSLs after revision update (was: How to create a patch for forrest)

Posted by Johannes Schaefer <jo...@uidesign.de>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Johannes Schaefer wrote:
>
>>We are using the forrest development version
>>and getting it via svn. To stay up-to-date
>>we get a new copy now and then.
>

> Good. However you should do that as often as possible.
>

>>After that
>>we copy our "documentation" tree into the
>>forrest-dir for the new revision. So far so
>>good.
>

> No, not good. I do not understand what you are doing.
> Why are you copying stuff into the Forrest source tree?

Sorry to you all ... stupid me.
I'm quite sure that these problems will
go away now that I've started my project
with 'forrest seed' and NOT using the
forrest source tree. Entschuldigung.
Excuse me. Desculpem. Scusi. Isvenite.
Perdon. Excuse moi.

Johannes

> If you are building your own documentation then it
> should be completely outside of Forrest, e.g. over
> in /home/you/my-docs/ do a 'forrest seed' and add your
> new documentation in there.
>

>>We changed some forrest-core styleguides to
>>our needs (and tastes). Now, after each
>>update we have to apply these changes to the
>>new revision.
>

> Why can't you do it how i described in the last thread?
> When you do 'svn update', if there were any source changes
> to the files that you have modified, then those changes
> will get safely merged with yours. If there are conflicts
> because someone changed the exact same portion of the file
> that you changed, then you will be warned and you will
> need to fix them.

Fon +49 (0)7141 377 000 * Fax  +49 (0)7141 377 00-99
Geschäftsstelle: User Interface Design GmbH * Lehrer-Götz-Weg 11 *
D-81825 München
www.uidesign.de

www.user-interface-tuning.de

Attraktivität von interaktiven Produkten messen mit
www.attrakdiff.de