Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Jens Geyer <je...@apache.org> on 2020/10/03 09:58:43 UTC

10 years of Thrift as an ASF TLP

Hi all,

while noticing that Thrift is going to be an Apache TLP for 10 years very soon (20th of Oct exactly), I wondered if there might be a good moment to do some sort of a review and some ooks towards the future of the project. What I am personally would love to know (and see) is this:

* What language bindings are the most favorite ones used by the community? What can we do to improve the maintainer situation, like publishing official release artifacts? What about Erlang, which still lets the pull requests CI runs fail? What about the D language, which for months now produces deprecation warnings?

* In order to keep the codebase in shape and up-to-date, sometimes it might be a necessary to get rid of outdated stuff. What language bindings shall in your opinion be deprecated and dropped, because essentially nobody needs it anymore? We already deprecated AS3 but I think there could be more. What do you think?

* I’d like to go for an 0.14.0 release in the next weeks. Are there any objections, blockers or anything you would like to see in that release and (are prepared to help getting it done)? Any help is of course much appreciated.

* One contributor recently announced to start working on some documentation improvements. There is also some pressure from INFRA to move away from the ASF CMS, as this is deprecated. If anybody has some spare hours that he/she likes to spend on that topic – please post to the dev mailing list. I’d love to see that whole matter brought forward as community effort.

* Anything else you always wanted to share but never did? Please, do it!

Have fiun,
JensG

Re: 10 years of Thrift as an ASF TLP

Posted by Duru Can Celasun <ca...@dcc.im>.
Hi all,

I'd suggest dropping all languages that don't have an active maintainer and go for 0.14 after that. Perhaps we can post here and publish a call for maintainers on the Github README and wait 2-4 weeks. Any language without at least 1 volunteer would be dropped. How does that sound?

As for documentation, I've replied to INFRA's email with my previous work on the new website + docs, but they never got back to me. I'll ping them again and see what happens.

Cheers,
Can