Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Wei Tan <wt...@us.ibm.com> on 2014/03/10 22:26:24 UTC

Occasional GSSException that brings down region server

Hi,

  We are running a HBase cluster in these settings and with kerberos
enabled.
HBase: 0.96.1.1
Zookeeper: 3.4.5
Hadoop: 1.1.1

We constantly put data into HBase and every several hours we get the error
below on a random region server; this error arises and the region server
kills itself.

ERROR:
2014-02-28 09:32:39,755 ERROR [hconnection-0x116987ad-shared--pool1378-t9]
security.UserGroupInformation: PriviledgedActionException
as:XXXXXXXX@DOMAIN cause:javax.security.sasl.SaslException: GSS initiate
failed [Caused by GSSException: No valid credentials provided (Mechanism
level: The ticket isn't for us (35) - BAD TGS SERVER NAME)]

We also tried with multiple version of kdc - all the way up to latest
1.12.1 - still see this error. What is weird is that most put gets
processed successfully until this error occurs and kills the RS.

Thanks,
Wei
---------------------------------
Wei Tan, PhD
Research Staff Member
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
http://researcher.ibm.com/person/us-wtan

Re: Occasional GSSException that brings down region server

Posted by Bharath Vissapragada <bh...@cloudera.com>.
Hey Wei,

Can you try adding "-Dsun.security.krb5.debug=true" to regionserver jvm
opts and see if it prints something before crash?

- Bharath

--
Bharath Vissapragada
<http://www.cloudera.com>

Re: Occasional GSSException that brings down region server

From:   Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>
To:     "user@hbase.apache.org" <us...@hbase.apache.org>,
Date:   03/10/2014 05:31 PM
Subject:        Re: Occasional GSSException that brings down region server

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Have you looked at

Posted by wuzesheng <wu...@vip.qq.com>.
Hi Andrew,

We use keytab file for hbase, there's no ticket cache file under /tmp, but
we still encounter the same error as above,  how about this?

Re: Occasional GSSException that brings down region server

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Wei Tan <wt...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi All, we seem to have overcome this occasional exception by changing
> HTable from being called through ConnectionManager vs. directly
> instantiating  HTable.
>
> OLD BAD:
> connection = HConnectionManager.createConnection(config);
>
> protected HTableInterface getHTable(String tableName) throws IOException
> {
>                  //Connection might have been closed since we acquired
> it...create a
>                  //new one if this is the case
>                  if (connection == null || connection.isClosed())
>                  {
>                                  log.info("HConnection null or
> closed...reopening");
>                                  connection =
> HConnectionManager.createConnection(config);
>                  }
>
>                  return connection.getTable(tableName);
> }
>

> NEW GOOD:
> public HTableInterface getHTable(byte[] tableName) throws IOException
> {
>                  return new HTable(conf, tableName);
> }
>
> Comment on this link [0] is why they opted down the initial - BAD path:
> ". Instances of this class can be constructed directly but it is
> encouraged that users get instances via HConnection and HConnectionManager
> . See HConnectionManager class comment for an example. "

I made it a blocker to change the wording (HBASE-10757).  We want folks to
go via HCM ALWAYs from here on out.

Thanks for reporting back Wei Tan,
St.Ack

Re: Occasional GSSException that brings down region server

Posted by Wei Tan <wt...@us.ibm.com>.
[...]

[0]
http://hbase.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/client/HTable.html

We run the workload for a few days and it seems fine. We are not sure why
this occurs but somebody listens this thread may have a better idea.
Thanks for all your help!

Best regards,
Wei

---------------------------------

From:   Zesheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>
To:     user@hbase.apache.org,
Date:   03/13/2014 09:33 PM

Thank you all the same :)

--
Best Wishes!

Yours, Zesheng

Re: Occasional GSSException that brings down region server

Posted by Zesheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Thank you all the same :)

--
Best Wishes!

Yours, Zesheng

Re: Occasional GSSException that brings down region server

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Occasional GSSException that brings down region server

Posted by Zesheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrew,

--
Best Wishes!

Yours, Zesheng

Re: Occasional GSSException that brings down region server

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.