Posted to dev@skywalking.apache.org by Sheng Wu <wu...@apache.org> on 2020/04/15 11:38:30 UTC

[DISCUSSION] New dashboard and new metrics analysis mechanism for SkyWalking 8

Hi Dev team

We have a good bi-weekly meeting yesterday. After the thinking and
discussion with Qiuxia(our UI committer), Hongtao Gao(PMC) and Bas van
Beek(Zipkin core maintainer).
I want to add these features to SkyWalking 8.
1. Support customizable dashboard, users could add metrics dashboard by
using metrics name and entity type. So, any new metrics in the OAL could be
visualized directly. The prototype design will provide later, you could
consider it as a native version grafana page.
2. Metrics network interface provided for
service/instance/endpoint dimensionalities.
3. Prometheus integration, we could accept or fetch metrics from the
Prometheus, and use OAL to analyze those metrics.

The deep discussion including online meetings is welcome, I could set up
one for people interested.
And I want to add this into SkyWalking 8, one side, give more time to the
agent team(PHP, .net, and nodejs are not ready yet) to follow new protocol,
the other is we could have a more clear milestone of 8 as a totally new
version.

Right now, I will lead on this whole thing, +高洪涛@skywalking
<ha...@apache.org> will deal with Prometheus/OpenMetrics/OpenTelemetry
metrics APIs. +Fan Fine <fi...@outlook.com> will lead at the UI side.
The timeline of this should be one month.

WDYT? And if any of you decide to join this new feature development,
especially for PMC/Committer, please let me know. This is a challenge and
an important new feature.

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

Re: [DISCUSSION] New dashboard and new metrics analysis mechanism for SkyWalking 8

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
I plan to change the backend in 2 steps
1. Implement the new query protocol and make all old query to use new query
kernel
2. Add sources for metrics receivers or fetchers, which +高洪涛@skywalking
<ha...@apache.org> leads that part, considering Prometheus as the first
priority. At the same time, I will work with Pivotal Micrometer team[1].
Hope I could make SkyWalking java ecosystem/agent works with that too.

[1] https://micrometer.io/docs/concepts#_composite_registries

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com> 于2020年4月16日周四 下午3:10写道:

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Filed PR step 1, https://github.com/apache/skywalking/pull/4679
Adopt the new v2 protocol, and keep compatible with the old v1 protocol.