Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Daniel Carr <d....@gmail.com> on 2014/05/30 01:13:58 UTC

moving all databases from couchdb 1.2.0 to 1.5.1 on different machines

Hi all.

I have couchdb 1.2.0 in production, with about 300 databases on it (one
database per client). I've been playing around with a development server
running couchdb 1.5.1. Both are on centOS amazon aws ec2 instances.

My intention is that when the development server is in a production ready
state, i'd shut down the production server, then spin up a new production
server from the snapshot of the development server.

I don't really want to have to do 300 replications, and re-do all the
security documents, user stuff, etc to get the data from old to new. I was
wondering if just copying the data files from production to development
would work.

I've read this to indicate it would be fine, but it's an old article:
http://davidcaylor.com/2011/07/08/moving-couchdb-database-files-between-servers/

Is there anything I should be worried about, particularly moving between
these versions? Is there a better way?

Cheers,
Daniel.

Re: moving all databases from couchdb 1.2.0 to 1.5.1 on different machines

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
Try it! Make a backup of your data files and load them on a temporary QA
instance running 1.5.1.

It should work just fine.

-Joan