Posted to general@xerces.apache.org by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org> on 2000/03/31 01:45:20 UTC

Upcoming Changes to Xerces-J

This note is to update all of the Xerces-J developers regarding
some upcoming changes. We are going to be changing the internal
architecture of the parser to enable XML Schema support. The
changes will only affect the internals.

Since this change is more than just a simple branch and merge,
we are going to be phasing the updates into the main CVS branch.
However, before doing so we will tag the current source base
and you'll be able to extract based on the tag, if you need to.
I'll post the tag name when it happens.

The update will have the following phases:

  PHASE 1: Adding new files
  PHASE 2: Modifying existing files
  PHASE 3: Removing old files

Commits aren't atomic in CVS but between phases the repository
should (cross fingers) remain in a clean, compilable state.

After the phases, the parse should be roughly equivalent to
the current Schema support but updated to the February draft.
Once the code is in the main branch of the repository, we can
attack the problem of moving towards full XML Schema support.

--
Andy Clark * IBM, JTC - Silicon Valley * andyc@apache.org

Re: Upcoming Changes to Xerces-J

Posted by Wong Kok Wai <wo...@pacific.net.sg>.
I thought, with the Crimson contribution, the legal issues are resolved. Looks
like I'm wrong. :-(

Posted by Mike Pogue <mp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Edwin Goei <Ed...@eng.sun.com>.

See http://java.sun.com/xml -- particularly the right sidebar.

Re: Upcoming Changes to Xerces-J

Posted by Sean Champ <s-...@postoffice.pacbell.net>.
what is JAXP?

Posted by Wong Kok Wai <wo...@pacific.net.sg>.

Posted by Mike Pogue <mp...@apache.org>.
There's a lot of work going on in the Schema area right now...
It's very likely that the latest CVS stuff is in an inconsistent state, for at
least another few days.  You can watch the progress in CVS itself, but it's all
Schema stuff going in, to match the latest draft specs.

Hang in there!  When there's something working (barely), there will be a post here.
Mike

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
Andy Clark wrote:
> Since this change is more than just a simple branch and merge,
> we are going to be phasing the updates into the main CVS branch.
> However, before doing so we will tag the current source base
> and you'll be able to extract based on the tag, if you need to.
> I'll post the tag name when it happens.

The merging of the internal re-architecture for Schema support
has begun. You'll start seeing some commit messages for these
changes soon. If you need to extract the *earlier* source code
*after* these changes take effect, use the tag "Xerces-J_1_0_3_Schema".
For example:

--
Andy Clark * IBM, JTC - Silicon Valley * andyc@apache.org