Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com> on 2008/10/20 19:06:35 UTC

M4 feature freeze

Reminder that we will be working to a M4 feature freeze Oct 23rd and
then moving
into bug fixing etc...

If you are working on a feature that will run beyond Oct 23, and would
like to get
it in please let the list know.

I have one such item, a Multi-consumer  lvq browsing & update that might
drag my
work out to Friday. (some might say it is a bug, others a feature :-)

regards
Carl.

Re: M4 feature freeze

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Rafael Schloming wrote:
> Martin Ritchie wrote:

>>> That would be my view as well. As soon as there are no known issues
>>> I'll
>>> make an RC. At the moment other than Steve's outstanding changes
>>> there are a
>>> few issues that need to be sorted out with SSL on Java.
>>>
>>> --Rafael
>>
>> Rafi,
>>
>> Just wanted to get an idea of what our timetable for M4 looks like.
>> Would you agree with the following dates?
>>
>> Freeze: 23rd
>> Beta: 30th
>> RC1: 7th
>> Release: 14th
>>
>> For M3 Aidan built some Alpha's to ensure that everything was going as
>> expected. Are you going to do the same thing?
>
> Yes

It looks to me we might have more like 2 weeks of work between Beta and
RC1, that is just my guess from
shorting the issues. There is a tone of stuff in M4.

I will update the roadmap page so that we can start to make a public
list of it

Carl.

Re: M4 feature freeze

Posted by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>.
Martin Ritchie wrote:
> 2008/10/29 Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>:
>> Gordon Sim wrote:

>>> My view is that the freeze has begun and we are now in testing, polishing
>>> and fixing mode. If anyone has a must have 'feature' for M4 that isn't in
>>> yet those can be raised as exceptions and the impact discussed, but on the
>>> whole we should now be trying to close everything down and reach a stable,
>>> well tested point where we can release.
>> That would be my view as well. As soon as there are no known issues I'll
>> make an RC. At the moment other than Steve's outstanding changes there are a
>> few issues that need to be sorted out with SSL on Java.
>>
>> --Rafael
>
> Rafi,
>
> Just wanted to get an idea of what our timetable for M4 looks like.
> Would you agree with the following dates?
>
> Freeze: 23rd
> Beta: 30th
> RC1: 7th
> Release: 14th
>
> For M3 Aidan built some Alpha's to ensure that everything was going as
> expected. Are you going to do the same thing?

Yes

> I feel that things may have already slipped a week to allow Steve to
> get the Windows port fully committed, what are your thoughts?

I agree we're probably a week behind. Judging from JIRA, there are still
a lot of open issues for M4, so I think a Beta on the 30th might be
premature. It's difficult to tell though since many of the JIRAs may be
code complete but not necessarily updated. I think the next step is to
focus on a bit of JIRA maintenance and then figure out our timeline
based on an a more accurate picture of the open issues.

Here's the filter I'm currently using to view open M4 issues:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12312868

Note that there may be M4 issues not in this list if they aren't
properly marked with a version.

--Rafael

Re: M4 feature freeze

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.
2008/10/29 Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>:
> Gordon Sim wrote:
>>
>> Marnie McCormack wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there a revised timeline for M4 now ?
>>>
>>> Be good to know when the likely freeze will be.
>>
>> My view is that the freeze has begun and we are now in testing, polishing
>> and fixing mode. If anyone has a must have 'feature' for M4 that isn't in
>> yet those can be raised as exceptions and the impact discussed, but on the
>> whole we should now be trying to close everything down and reach a stable,
>> well tested point where we can release.
>
> That would be my view as well. As soon as there are no known issues I'll
> make an RC. At the moment other than Steve's outstanding changes there are a
> few issues that need to be sorted out with SSL on Java.
>
> --Rafael

Rafi,

Just wanted to get an idea of what our timetable for M4 looks like.
Would you agree with the following dates?

Freeze: 23rd
Beta: 30th
RC1: 7th
Release: 14th

For M3 Aidan built some Alpha's to ensure that everything was going as
expected. Are you going to do the same thing?
I feel that things may have already slipped a week to allow Steve to
get the Windows port fully committed, what are your thoughts?

Regards

Martin

--
Martin Ritchie

Re: M4 feature freeze

Posted by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>.

RE: M4 feature freeze

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
> Marnie McCormack wrote:
> > Is there a revised timeline for M4 now ?
> >
> > Be good to know when the likely freeze will be.
>
> My view is that the freeze has begun and we are now in testing,
> polishing and fixing mode. If anyone has a must have 'feature' for
M4
> that isn't in yet those can be raised as exceptions and the impact
> discussed, but on the whole we should now be trying to close
> everything
> down and reach a stable, well tested point where we can release.

I'm still working to complete the Windows integration with the svn
repository (migrating from github). I'm waiting for some review on
jira issues and patches, and completing the broker stuff (mostly
related to things that changed between the last time I migrated the
git-copied master/svn stuff to the windows port and now).

There's little to no new code going in - there's some shifting around
to push Linux-specific code to platform-specific areas and
compiler-related tweaks.

Please let me know the best way to handle the remaining code, which
should be resolved within a day or two.

Thanks,
-Steve

Re: M4 feature freeze

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Re: M4 feature freeze

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Rafi,

Is there a revised timeline for M4 now ?

Be good to know when the likely freeze will be.

Many Thanks,
Marnie

Re: M4 feature freeze

Posted by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>.

Re: M4 feature freeze

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Re: M4 feature freeze

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 2:27 AM, Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Please try to get all your feature related commits in by Friday, so we can
> focus on
> testing and bugs starting next week.

Are there going to be alpha/beta releases between now and when M4 is
due to go out?

- Aidan
http://cwiki.apache.org/qpid
"Nine-tenths of wisdom consists in being wise in time." - Theodore Roosevelt

Re: M4 feature freeze

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Reminder,

Please try to get all your feature related commits in by Friday, so we
can focus on
testing and bugs starting next week.

(me included..) regards
Carl.

Re: M4 feature freeze

Posted by Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>.
Carl Trieloff wrote:

> Reminder that we will be working to a M4 feature freeze Oct 23rd and
> then moving
> into bug fixing etc...
>
> If you are working on a feature that will run beyond Oct 23, and would
> like to get
> it in please let the list know.
>
> I have one such item, a Multi-consumer  lvq browsing & update that
> might drag my
> work out to Friday. (some might say it is a bug, others a feature :-)
>
> regards
> Carl.
Carl,

I'm hoping to provide a C++ implementation of the QMF console API.  This
won't be ready by Thursday, but with a few more days, I might be able to
get it done.

-Ted

RE: M4 feature freeze

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
Hi Carl,

> Reminder that we will be working to a M4 feature freeze Oct 23rd and

> then moving into bug fixing etc...
>
> If you are working on a feature that will run beyond Oct 23,
> and would like to get it in please let the list know.

I'm planning to have the Windows port in for M4 (really this time ;-)
Most of the code is there - I'm waiting on some review on some
large-ish changes and then there are a few smaller ones, then just
fill out the docs for those who wish to build on Windows.

-Steve