Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by P Jausions <ja...@hotmail.com> on 2004/11/03 10:55:05 UTC

[users@httpd] Help on troubleshooting weird behaviour under 1.3.33 / mod_ssl / mod_php4 / win

Hi,

I'm having the following problem:

Site works fine under plain HTTP, but crashes on one specific page under
HTTPS (the site may be crashing on other pages but at least I know of one.)
To reproduce the crash I clear cookies and temporary files to force web
browser (IE and Netscape) to download all images.

The PHP scripted page seems to be loading fine, but some images on it would
break (not always the same ones.) As far as I can tell, the processes are
dying one by one, or right after the "master" Apache process would launch a
new one to replace the dead one.

I got the server binaries from http://hunter.campbus.com/

Configuration (crashes):

- Apache 1.3.33
- mod_ssl 2.8.22
- OpenSSL 0.9.7e
- PHP 4.3.9
- Windows Server 2003 (SE)

Server that worked good:
- Apache 1.3.29
- PHP 4.3.8
- Windows Server 2000 (or 2002?)

I've tried downgrading the new server to same Apache/PHP but the same crash
occurs under the same conditions.

I turned off KeepAlive then site works fine under HTTPS (very slow to load
all the images one by one, but none broken.) For those who would want to
ask, yes, site needs "KeepAlive On".

I don't have any special message in log file, except "standard" warnings
about unstability of EAPI under windows and mod_php4 being already loaded.

Windows Event Viewer (Application) does have some errors: "Faulting
application Apache.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module ApacheCore.dll,
version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0003091a." Same error is logged about 8-9
times (3 to 6 seconds between each error) each time that page breaks. That's
about the same amount of broken images on the page.

I tried saving the source file of the problematic page as HTML (i.e. View
Source -> Save As...) and load it through HTTPS, but it would work fine
then. I don't see how different is that page compared to the other PHP ones
on the site (maybe more images...) All images are static, not generated on
the fly.

Apache software was installed by uncompressing archives.
PHP was installed using both installer and archive file.

Has anybody encountered the same kind of problem?

Any idea on what to check or do next?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

-Philippe

Re: [users@httpd] Help on troubleshooting weird behaviour under 1.3.33 / mod_ssl / mod_php4 / win

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 04:55:05 -0500, P Jausions <ja...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Configuration (crashes):
>
> - Apache 1.3.33
> - mod_ssl 2.8.22
> - OpenSSL 0.9.7e
> - PHP 4.3.9
> - Windows Server 2003 (SE)
>
> Server that worked good:
> - Apache 1.3.29
> - PHP 4.3.8
> - Windows Server 2000 (or 2002?)

I know this isn't a very helpful response, but you should really be
using apache 2.0, which is much better designed for win32.

Joshua.