Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/14 07:18:41 UTC

0.8 release schedule

Hi all,

Now that we are nearing the dates mentioned previously, I thought it
was time to outline some specific dates for working towards the
release of 0.8. I am actually away on vacation now until the 21st, so
the dates work around that slightly:

Friday October 22nd: Cut first test build for initial review, generate
RAT output.
Monday October 25th (5PM UTC): trunk frozen, bug fixes only.
Oct 2X/Nov 0X: Create additional test builds as/when required.
Friday November 5th: Take a 0.8-release branch from trunk, increment
the version numbers on both. Trunk opens for 0.9 development. Release
Candidate process begins from the 0.8-release branch.
November XX: Once the latest Release Candidate is deemed stable, vote
for its promotion to the release build.

JIRA's with fix-for of 0.7 should now be getting updated and if
necessary moved to unknown/0.9 fix-for if they aren't going to be
committed in time for 0.8. I will be wielding a big stick against the
remaining 0.7 JIRAs that aren't RTR/In Progress when the freeze takes
effect on October 25th :)

In terms of documentation, the only release-specific task I am aware
of needing done to accompany the release would be to publish the
latest version to the website renamed as 0.8, and copied with a new
0.9 link. Is that correct Jonathan?

Regards,
Robbie

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

RE: 0.8 release schedule

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Alan and everyone else who has been helping update files with
licence headers.

Last night I updated (or simply deleted) around 125 more of the unlicensed
files so we now have a little under half the files being flagged by RAT
than we did previously, with these mostly being text files, build etc
files licensed under different terms, or generated input/output test
files.

I followed the example of headers from existing files in a few cases I
wasn't sure of the style convention necessary and tested the changes don't
impact some areas, but I'd be lying if I said I came remotely close to
testing everything, so shout/revert if you find I broke something (figured
it better to do it now than wait till Release Candidate's start rolling
though).

Robbie

<snip/>

Re: 0.8 release schedule

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.

RE: 0.8 release schedule

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

As indicated below I have now created an initial test build for early
review. Can all developers please give their preferred sections a once over
for issues, e.g. to update any missing licences and check for any packaging
problems etc (whether they be inherent, or the result of my build
environment). Doing this now will help us expedite the release process once
the code is actually in shape for the 0.8 Release Candidate process to
begin.

The files may be downloaded from:
http://people.apache.org/~robbie/qpid/0.7alpha1/

RAT output from an extraction of the 'full release' archive is available at
http://people.apache.org/~robbie/qpid/0.7alpha1/rat_output.txt Please give
this a check over and update any files you think necessary with licences.
>From an initial glance there seem to be several source files in need of
update e.g. in the new .net bindings, the docs, and the odd cpp file. There
are also quite a lot of scripts (test and otherwise) and makefiles etc
flagged as missing licences and these ought to be updated too since they do
incorporate creativity.

Regards,
Robbie
(who shall now return to post-flight hibernation, having woken up early many
hours ago despite being awake for entirely too long due to planes and
airports)