Posted to log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org by Sorin POPA <so...@yahoo.com> on 2006/11/28 10:42:53 UTC

Re: Question on Unicode strings

Hello, Arun!

We have the same problem that you mentioned here, on this mailing-list.
We try to transfer data in unicode format and do not manage to find a solution.

Will you tell us, please, whether you found a solution to this problem and which one would it be?
Many thanks!

Cheers and have a great day!

Sorin Popa
Romania
Mobile:    +40 728 030299

You wrote:
Hi Curt,

A question on Unicode strings.
I tried to pass in a Unicode string that had some Japanese characters from a
string table. When I used the Windows MessageBox function it showed the
characters correctly. Then I used LOG4CXX_INFO to send the string to the
console. This is what I saw in the Console.

Function Name: wmain
2006-05-26 12:23:20,815 [0xf68] c:\documents and
settings\user\testcxxlogging\testcxxlogging.cpp(72) INFO
-\u0020\u30A8\u30FC\u30B8\u30A7\u30F3\u30C8 \u30D1\u30B9\u30EF\u30FC\u30C9

I saw this in a physical file: ?NFO -??????? ?????

The region was set to United States and the language as English. Since that
was a bit whack I switched the regional settings in Windows XP to Japanese
and the language to Japanese. I installed Language files also and rebooted
the machine.

On running the program I got the same result.

I know this is not the greatest of tests. But I wanted to get your / any
user feedback on how to correct it or test it.

Thanks
Arun

http://new.mail.yahoo.com

Re: Question on Unicode strings

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Nov 28, 2006, at 3:42 AM, Sorin POPA wrote:

> Hello, Arun!
>
> We have the same problem that you mentioned here, on this mailing-
> list.
> We try to transfer data in unicode format and do not manage to find
> a solution.
>
> Will you tell us, please, whether you found a solution to this
> problem and which one would it be?
> Many thanks!
>
> Cheers and have a great day!
>

> Sorin Popa
> Romania
> Mobile:    +40 728 030299
>

> You wrote:
> Hi Curt,
>
> A question on Unicode strings.
> I tried to pass in a Unicode string that had some Japanese
> characters from a
> string table. When I used the Windows MessageBox function it showed
> the
> characters correctly. Then I used LOG4CXX_INFO to send the string
> to the
> console. This is what I saw in the Console.
>
> Function Name: wmain
> 2006-05-26 12:23:20,815 [0xf68] c:\documents and
> settings\user\testcxxlogging\testcxxlogging.cpp(72) INFO
> -\u0020\u30A8\u30FC\u30B8\u30A7\u30F3\u30C8 \u30D1\u30B9\u30EF\u30FC
> \u30C9
>
> I saw this in a physical file: ?NFO -??????? ?????
>
> The region was set to United States and the language as English.
> Since that
> was a bit whack I switched the regional settings in Windows XP to
> Japanese
> and the language to Japanese. I installed Language files also and
> rebooted
> the machine.
>
> On running the program I got the same result.
>
> I know this is not the greatest of tests. But I wanted to get
> your / any
> user feedback on how to correct it or test it.
>
> Thanks
> Arun

You will get the \uXXXX escape sequences when the character can not
be represented in the current file encoding.  In the case of the the
US English test case, you were most likely not specifying a file
encoding and were therefore using the default encoding of Cp1252
(very much like ISO-8859-1) which only supports Unicode code points
0-255.

Probably your easiest solution is to specify encoding="UTF-16" for
your file appender.  Then WordPad or other Unicode supporting editor
should be able to read the resulting file.