Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by ilango_g <il...@yahoo.com> on 2008/07/19 16:28:40 UTC

path to becoming a committer

Hi
How will I qualify to become a committer on an Apache project like Tomcat.
What can be a path to becoming one. What do I need to do?

thanks
ilango

Re: path to becoming a committer

Posted by ilango_g <il...@yahoo.com>.
If this involves submitting patches, where do I start? Where can I find a
list of bugs for which patches  are sought?
Thanks.
Ilango

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 12:32 PM, ilango_g <il...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I found the location of the bug database at ASF Bugzilla. This is a place to
> start?

Yes, that's a good place to start.  You will also want to read several
pages on http://www.apache.org/dev/, including "How the ASF Works,"
"Introduction for Contributors," and more.

Yoav

Re: path to becoming a committer

Posted by ilango_g <il...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 5:40 AM, Prof. Dr.-Ing. Albrecht Weinert
<al...@a-weinert.de> wrote:
> Well, some times ago I under-went the same sought for answers,
> on:
> How to commit?
> What is Tomcat's definition of patch?
> (wrt changed or new source code) etc.
> It brought me to just using substantial improvements
> in a very limited scope of users.
>
> I'm a bit consoled, seeing not to be the only
> (stupid) one who can't find the answers easily.
>
> Sincerely
>     Albrecht
>
> To sum it up: A manual "How to become co-developper" would be a
> great help.

Have you read the materials at http://www.apache.org/dev?  If not,
please do.  If you have, please list your specific questions so we can
answer them, and hopefully document the answers.

To look at the above:

1. How to commit?  Answered in www.apache.org/dev.  Summary: send
patches through the issue tracking system, we will review them and
commit them.  You can't commit yourself until you're a committer, by
definition.

2. What is Tomcat's definition of patch?  Same as virtually every
other software project out there in the world.  It's a set of changes
to one or more files in the Tomcat source code repository, represented
usually as text diffs from the existing versions in the repository.
Again, answered at www.apache.org/dev.

Yoav

Re: path to becoming a committer

Posted by "Prof. Dr.-Ing. Albrecht Weinert" <al...@a-weinert.de>.

----------------------------------------+------------------------------

Posted by Quintin Beukes <qu...@last.za.net>.
I'm not sure exactly what is invovled in becoming a committer for Tomcat,
but it generally involves submitting patches, and when the amount you
submitted becomes extensive/large,  then you are offered an SVN account.

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 4:28 PM, ilango_g <il...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi
> How will I qualify to become a committer on an Apache project like Tomcat.
> What can be a path to becoming one. What do I need to do?
>
> thanks
> ilango

Quintin Beukes