Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Alan Gerhard <al...@gercom.com> on 2005/03/26 15:07:15 UTC

Current Issues - > RE: Gateway Authentication

That's not the point.
Open Source development, ASF infrastructure, and other community projects
require a rigid framework which in turn demand strict adherence.
Without that, you end up with projects having multiple branches and a
splintered user community; the project eventually ends up in status quo with
most of the development being made locally which gives no value to the
overall community.

So, giving JamesNG 'a branch to go crazy on' because '.. no commits are
happening .. ' does not solve the issues that are being raised.

> Man, with comments like that no wonder there's gonna
> be  a code fork.

Neither do lengthy discussions pitting one technology against another.

James is a (widely) used system with a large and loyal user base, who look
to ASF/James for guidance, knowledge, and growth. We have an obligation to
this user base to ensure a growing return on the investment they made in ASF
and in using James as a solution, and to support them to attain their goals.

We have had a few set backs in the past 12-18 months that have required our
limited resources be funneled in other areas. Now that these transitions
have been made, its time for JamesPMC to make some hard architectural
decisions regarding support for the existing user base, inclusion of current
development efforts, platform/framework independence, adherence to our
framework (Mailets, Pipeline, Open Protocols), and attainment of our
charter.

Some questions I ask to induce thought -

- What are we replacing Avalon with, who is leading that team, and do we
have a due date ?
- Where are we with our current development efforts (ToDo list) and how
quickly can these efforts be realized ?
- Have we defined a packaging tool/central repository for James Production
Mailets ?
- Are we commercializing James, who is leading that team, and have we
gathered sufficient requirements ?

I am more concerned about these areas; they have a greater impact on one's
ability to make strategic decisions regarding the commercialized use of
James, or the integration of James into Enterprise Solutions.

- Alan