Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Lee Roth <ca...@easy48.com> on 2010/01/31 20:52:20 UTC

Baby steps Solaris x86 - still failing

I've now got the proper Java (V1.6.0_18) in place, but still no joy.
I'm new to Java, otherwise I may have been able to figure out what is
wrong and the baby would be crawling at least.

I installed JDK 1.6.0_18 at the system level rather than the Solaris
flavor that permits an individual non-root user directory install.

I confirmed that the default "storage" and log dirs
(/var/lib/cassandra and /var/log/cassandra) are writeable via a
'touch' command even though the error output below doesn't suggest a
problem in this area.

[lee@test1:~/temp/apache-cassandra-incubating-0.5.0-src]$ /bin/java -version
java version "1.6.0_18"
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 16.0-b13, mixed mode, sharing)
[lee@test1:~/temp/apache-cassandra-incubating-0.5.0-src]$ sh -x
bin/cassandra -f

***
lots of stuff snipped out here to reduce email glut; full text at
http://easy48.com/cassandra/fail1.txt
***

Listening for transport dt_socket at address: 8888
org/apache/cassandra/service/CassandraDaemon
org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon
Could not find the main class:
org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.  Program will exit.
+ return 1
+ exit 1
[lee@test1:~/temp/apache-cassandra-incubating-0.5.0-src]$

Thanks,

Lee

Re: Baby steps Solaris x86 - still failing

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
looks like you downloaded the src tarball but did not build it.  use
the binary tarball, or run "ant" first.